Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all new member here,
Just got done reading through the Luger FAQS (very helpful, thank you) and am part way through the Gibson book.

Right now I have two DWMS and would like to add a Krieghoff. I've actually owned a Krieghoff K80 shotgun before I even knew they made lugers. Now that the play fund has rebuilt since that purchase I would like opinions on where would be the best place to buy one, or more specifically if you were going to buy one today or in the next 6 months which one would you buy or go after via auction. I have no special requirements, if I had to choose I'd like as many matching parts as possible and condition to be valued over "rarity". Simpson has a few in stock but nothing screamed buy me, but I'm new to collecting them so maybe I'm overlooking something.

Thank you for your time,
Pat

·
Administrator
14,061 Posts
I'm the wrong guy to ask about HK's, as I'm a Weimar era, Simson guy, but there are some experts on here that will give you good advice.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
First thing is what variation are you looking for ?
For the few produced the variations are many .

I like military ones myself .

There are many threads here with good info on these .

Gibsons book is a bit old and needs updating .

Let us know what type you seek and it will be easier to help you .

GOOD CHOICE but be CAREFUL as some less than honest folks past - present have muddied the waters with these .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like a S early/mid with walnut grips but I'm not committed to that, definitely want a military.

I am hoping someone here could point me in the right direction to getting a non altered one, I have a general idea of what to look for but someone could definitely pull one over on me.

Pat

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am hoping someone here could point me in the right direction to getting a non altered one, I have a general idea of what to look for but someone could definitely pull one over on me.
Sounds like you don't know how to tell the real from the fake for yourself, so you probably shouldn't be looking at high end stuff like Krieghoffs which are rife with fakes.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,547 Posts
Shouldn't be looking? What you REALLY shouldn't do is tell people what they shouldn't be doing.
If you have your sights set on a Krieghoff then look everywhere they might appear. Looking can be/is studying..if something sparks an interest post it on the forum and there are a few knowlegeable people who can help with the good bad & ugly.
But yes..looking and learning is all part of the process of gaining knowledge. There are people here who can help[.
You might also search. This forum is likely to have many threads on Krieghoffs..take a look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ryan you are correct that I am/could be going down a dangerous path buying a gun from a manufacture I have never held in person. But I have a few "low end" Lugers and this is the next step if I choose to continue collecting them. As mentioned in the first post my interest in Krieghoff is based on using a few different sporting shotguns of theirs over the years.

Ford, your advice is sound and I was leaning that direction, then I have one on hand and can hold out for the "perfect" one, or at least the next one.

Mr. Burney, on day one when I registered I was perusing around the forum in different areas. You are the first person I followed and respect your opinions and comments, thank you for your contribution to this forum. I don't doubt for every one person that says thank you to you another 10+ people are benefiting from your contributions.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi DarkSkyy, welcome to the forum! I too am a long time Krieghoff shotgun skeet shooter. My first was a K32 4 barrel set purchased in the late 60's, and this was followed by a K70 with a tubed barrel sometime later. I even have an HK cap and shirt somewhere! On the whole I shot better with the older set.
I own the obligatory HK Luger, a decent looking 1937 with a questionable matching magazine. As you know, Kreighoff was, and still is, a relatively small family owned company, and the wide spread belief that they turned out a superior product is a myth In my opinion. Year for year Mauser produced a better Luger. I now focus on Imperial Navy Lugers and their accessories which I find to be far more interesting!
However, if your heart is set on an HK be prepared to pay between 5 and 10k for an honest gun.
I'm enclosing a couple of photos of my 1937.
Norm
Trigger Air gun Rectangle Gun accessory Gun barrel

Photograph Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
32 Posts
First thing is what variation are you looking for ?
For the few produced the variations are many .

I like military ones myself .

There are many threads here with good info on these .

Gibsons book is a bit old and needs updating .

Let us know what type you seek and it will be easier to help you .

GOOD CHOICE but be CAREFUL as some less than honest folks past - present have muddied the waters with these .
There recently was a 1936 on Gunbroker that someone stamped the side plate with the numbers 51, ad they probably thought numbers went there and they would make it numbers matching; the numbers were different and they bent the side plate! Oh man

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sooo let’s be a fly on the wall. Let’s see that son, I have a numbers punch and I’ll fix it ! Just make sure I hit it hard enough!! Whoops, say Jed that five looks funny! Yep it’s all numbers matching now heh heh ! Now go put it on Gunbroker !

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ryan you are correct that I am/could be going down a dangerous path buying a gun from a manufacture I have never held in person. But I have a few "low end" Lugers and this is the next step if I choose to continue collecting them. As mentioned in the first post my interest in Krieghoff is based on using a few different sporting shotguns of theirs over the years.
You are wanting to dive into the deep end of Luger collecting and you have not developed your own knowledge enough to do so safely. What you are basically asking for is a "safe" dealer to buy one from, without doing your own research, and their isn't one. They all sell guns with problems on a fairly regular basis. You have to know what you are buying.

Review this recent thread:

If the serious problems with this 1936 do not jump out at you, you should not be trying to buy HKs. Do your own research--Gibson's book doesn't count--and look at as many original guns as you can. Learning the common 1936/37 guns is not that difficult but it requires spending a fair amount of time studying many examples. It is not a question of having one in hand, you can easily study these online.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,547 Posts
Shouldn't. wouldn't, couldn't..Fear is a disabler. It might take 5 years of window shopping/learning but I try not to kick dreams in the head. I bought my first and only 1936 Krieghoff minus a side plate years ago and I learned a TON just by owning one. They ARE different than a Mauser...Much different.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts