Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purcahsed a 1915 Luger that appears to be marked DWMC at a gun show. It doesn't have much left of it's original finish. Serial no. 58xx, Has the xx on all parts I can observe, saftey, toggle, etc. Can't see ser. no. on the wooden knob on the magazine. Barrel has the ser. no, with what appears to be a lower case "a" below it. There is also an 886 (or an 8 with a space between it and the 86) below that where the barrel meets the slide. Any info on history (or where to look), possible value, should I try to get it re-conditioned(bluing, cleaning, etc.)or suggestions on what to do with this would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
15,532 Posts
John, welcome to the forum;

It is marked DWM, and was made in 1915 as you guessed. The 8,86 would be probably 8,81, 8,82, 8,83, etc., and I don't beleive 8,86, but is the the land to land measurement that was stamped on it.

Generally rebluing is a bad thing to a collector piece, but it depends on what condition yours is now. Can you provide pictures of it?

How much did you pay? Price for a 1915 range from $500-$1200, all depends on condition and orginality.

Ed

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
I need to pay more attention to the posts I am reading. Believe I will go away for a couple of weeks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paid well under $500 for it. Fired it this weekend and it was dead on at 15 yds. It is 8,82 below the ser.no. on the barrel, guess I need some eye gear. At the base of the mag. appear to be some numbers but are so faint I can't really say what they are. I don't have pictures but 85% of the finish is gone with some pitting, the wooden grips are pretty dark. All ser. nos. that I can find match up. Also, when I put a round in the magazine it would not chamber the round, loaded it directly into the chamber, inserted the magazine, and nailed the target. What would be a good refrence book on Lugers of this period? - (Thanks for the 1st post.)

·
Administrator
15,532 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for in a book, as there are a lot out there, some good, some not so good. Jan Still's Imperial Lugers has tons of pictures and lots of information...

Go to the book review section of this forum and do some reading, might help you decide which one you should get.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't thank you enough for your help. I am going to hit the gun book refrences here and gun shows for books, etc. to find some referance material and look into what to do with a firearm that I treasure. I love this stuff and am glad there are people out there to help starters like me.

Live Long & Prosper,
John D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.