Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just was handed a German Luger with the number 42 on top along with byf 37 and on the side I have the numbers 135 and the German symbol of the eagle and swastika on it. In front of the pistol grip is the number 5552 and under the barrel is the number 7937. I also have the original holster - this item has been used but it is original (no fake).

Sorry no picture yet - can anyone tell me its story?

Thanks
Steve Lucks

·
Administrator
15,519 Posts
Hey Steve, glad to see this thread, and welcome again to the forum.

If the 42 is on the very top of the receiver, in front of the toggle action and the byf is on the toggle, we are good to go.

This is a 1942 (ergo the 42) and was made by Mauser (byf is a code).

There were 113,000 made in 1942 and 7937 would fit right in beginning of that years production.

It would and should have an eagle 135 on the right... I am unsure about the 5552, unless of course (which is very possible), it is mismatched... If matching, then the last two, the 37 would be on many small parts. Where is the 5552 actually located?

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good morning Ed,

Thanks for the response. The 5552 is just in front of the trigger housing not on the barrel. The 37 is on the barrel assemble but on the rest of the unit is the number 52 (safety latch, the barrel release latch, the unit above the trigger). It seems if the number 5552 and 7937 are id numbers then it could be that the barrel was put on an earlier model of the same year (like they do with cars today) - does that make sense?

The mag has the number 37 and the German eagle with the letters fxo above it and on the side is P08. The holster has no markings.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Steve, It sounds like you have an upper half(Cannon or barrel and receiver) mounted on a lower half from a different Luger with a different ser#. Upper-lower mismatch. If so, it is classified as a shooter. And no longer has any collector value. Shooters are good.

Ron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ron,

So it has no value - right? Someone got rid of the old barrel and got a newer barrel at that time. It seems logical that the owner would do that if he had the chance. What does the 138 number mean - is it an inspectors stamp? Could the factory have place the barrel on the lower half? I had that happen in Iraq (brand new from Germany - numbers did not match).

Steve

·
Administrator
15,519 Posts
Steve, shooters are worth from $400-$600, so your definition of no value depends on your pocketbook!

Of course these are conjectures, and seeing pictures would help. If the upper is a mismatch (fairly common), then not only the toggle would be marked 37, but the interior parts too, i.e. firing pin, breechblock, hold-open etc...

The 138, did you mean the eagle 135, if so, that is a proof / acceptance marking.

Ed

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Steve, It has value. Just not as a collectable. Depending on the condition, shooters usually go for $500-$600. If it were matching and in nice condition. It could be worth 3 times that.
Not likely done at the factory. Inspectors were pretty stringent. When the armories were captured by G.I.s. A lot of times they would assemble pistols out of the parts that they found. Not concerned with matching numbers. Maybe some vet found the two halves and put them together. Impossible at this point to say how or where it happened.

Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.