Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

ID Request - Erfurt, 1908? No Date Rework?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  hksrfan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I would like some help ID'ing this Luger. I am very new at this, so I am open to any correction!

I initially believed it is an Erfurt No Date Rework (from The Standard Catalog of Luger, https://www.selfdefensefund.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Luger.pdf), index 80. This is because it has the Erfurt mark on the toggle, and no date on the chamber.

However, some things are not as the book says. :
  • It has no stock lug and the area does not look ground off.
  • Extractor is early type, not late type (Not sure on this) - no hump on top?
  • I believe it has been reblued/refinished, but the straw parts look straw except for the ejector (thin long bar on right side, correct?)

So, some part of my mind thinks it may be a 1908 Military Erfurt, that was modified or worked on. The 1908 does not have stock lug, nor does this. I did a quick search on the forum for "Erfurt no date" and found a couple posts saying if it's an Erfurt with no date then the date has been removed and the pistol refinished, which I could believe.

Serial 6187, all matching parts, except magazine.

Thank you very much!

Is this the place to ask for valuation as well? I have the opportunity to purchase.

Watch Camera accessory Finger Watch accessory Gadget

Finish wear? Rebluing coming off?

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. I believe you have an Erfurt manufactured Luger, but the chamber area was ground and refinished, removing the date. All Erfurt Lugers were manufactured for government military contracts - not were for commercial sale.

You can see the rounding of normally sharp edges in the area that was shaved down and refinished.

The unrelieved sear bar has also been modified. Does it shoot and cycle reliably? Is the trigger safe?

#3 ·
Thank you for your insight!

Unrelieved sear bar.. is that the bar that looks like it has bluing coming off?

Owner says it shoots reliably with 147gr.

Trigger was safe when I tested - I will assume safe means, with safety on, I pressed trigger, no action. The trigger moves but the sear is not dropped. Safety off, the trigger moves and drops sear and fires.

#4 ·
Your t suffix Erfurt Luger was manufactured in either 1917 or 1918, the only two years in which Erfurt production reached as high as the t suffix. Jan Still's book "IMPERIAL LUGERS" shows only 1918 t suffix Erfurt Lugers but his sampling of 1917 Erfurt Lugers is only 38 in number and he does report u & v suffix letters so t suffix Erfurts in 1917 is possible.

The sear bar on your Luger was manufactured as a short bar and not modified. I'm also certain that your Erfurt was made with a stock lug but it has been ground off.

#6 ·
The suffix letter will only appear on the frame BUT it is part of the serial number. Record the full serial number to include the suffix letter as well as the make (Erfurt) and the fact that it doesn't have a date. Keep pictures of it. It's important to understand that serial numbers, including the suffix letter, are often repeated in multiple years as well as by both DWM and Erfurt. Example: Serial number 1234 a was undoubtedly made by both DWM and Erfurt in 1916, 1917 and 1918. Thus the year and manufacturer information is needed to be certain the specific gun is recorded accurately.

#8 ·
As a shooter, I find this level of edge rounding and buffing unattractive. The removal of the stock lug and chamber date is also excessive and unnecessary. For those reasons, if it is reliable shooting mechanically sound Luger, I would still value it at the lower middle value for a shooter. Perhaps $900 in a direct sale. Dealers will want more to cover their overhead.

If you keep looking, you'll probably find a gun in better condition for about the same money.

Reactions: hksrfan
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.