Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble identifying my grandfathers Luger. Could someone point a newbie in the right direction...

Serial# 7265 - no other markings...

Download Attachment: luger2.jpg
53.28 KB

·
Administrator
15,075 Posts
Patrik, pictures help very much, but we need full info to really help;

such as;

any dates on it
any markings on it
any other letters on it
full serial number

Right now, we can tell it was made by DWM.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quote:Originally posted by Weimar_Police

Patrik, pictures help very much, but we need full info to really help;

such as;

any dates on it
any markings on it
any other letters on it
full serial number

Right now, we can tell it was made by DWM.

Ed
Full serial 7265
No dates
No markings - just a bunch of "65" on every part
The only other mark is a tilted "D" on the muzzle end of the front sight.
And the caliber is 7.65 mm

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,819 Posts
Patrick,

No date, and a 7,65mm...
Seems an interesting DWM, but really, we need more.
The bunch of 65's you mention, are the two last digits of the sn, just to make sure that small parts would not be changed when a few pistols were cleaned on the same table.

So please look for small proof - stamps. They should be found mostly on the right side of the receiver, just at the end where the barrel is. There could be one to four, a small eagle or a crown, with or without a number or a character under it. Please look closely with a magnifying glass. Under the barrel, there should be also the sn,
often with a small italic character under it, and also somewhere one or more proofmarks.

Close pic's of the proof stamps might help a lot to identify.

Good luck,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have som more pictures, but first of all: There are NO OTHER visible markings or stamps on the outside of the gun.

Exception:
Under the barrell are something - barely visible - perhaps 4 numbers. My guess would be 5??5, but I'm not sure.

Inside the reciever we found this:

Download Attachment: luger3.jpg
41.32KB

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,819 Posts
Patrick,

Well it seems that somewhere during the lifetime of your Granddad's Luger it was refurbished. The four numbers under the barrel originally should have been the same sn as on the frame, #7265, but 5??5 could have been that, not?

If this is very difficult to read, the pistol might have been polished once, and reblued. That explains the total absence of any proofmark.
The PSP P inside of the receiver are inspector marks, the meaning of the characters is not known. Many Lugers have them, and untill now no pattern is found here.

I am certainly not an expert, but I think that the only thing we can be certain about is that this is a DWM Luger, cal .30, short barrel, propably produced during the Weimar republic in Germany.

Not much of help, and certainly not what you wanted to know. If you take some time, and look further inside of this forum, you will learn that identification is only possible if there is something more than a serial number without a suffix.

Regards,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.