Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this forum and i have some questions about my melior pistols.

May one can help me in identifying my 3 Melior Pistols in pre or past world war 2. (i blured out the serial numbers on the pictures)

1. Melior in 6.35. The seller told me that his grandfather used this gun in ww2. It came with a holster and 2 magazines. I removed the grips for cleaning because i feared rust because of the worn finish but gladly there was any.

2. Melior in 7.65

3. Melior in 7.65

IMG_3591.JPG IMG_3587.JPG IMG_3606.JPG IMG_3597 - Kopie.JPG IMG_3604.JPG IMG_3605.JPG

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. Second, I know people are hestitant to post serial numbers but honestly it does help with identification and for people keeping data bases. Serial numbers for the 6.35 mm. "Old model" (including those used on the Jieffeco) ran from No. 1 to No. 38,978, and serial numbering of the 6.35 mm. "new" model began at No. 38,979. For the 7.65 mm. "Old Mod. Melior" (and Jieffeco ) the numbering ran from No. 1 to No. 27,350, and for the "New" Mod. Melior the numbering began at No. 27,351. so it would appear all 3 of your guns are considered "new model" then probably the easiest quick way to determine pre or post war is after WWII production resumed but without the grip safety. so seeing as all three guns have the grip safety, I would say they are pre-war.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome on the forum. I'm also owner of a Melior pistol. The info on these pistols is limited but there is a member on this forum who has done a lot of research on them. VAC is his profile name, he will probably chime in.
Congrats on owning some of the more obscure belgian pistols.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hi,

I am new to this forum and i have some questions about my melior pistols.

May one can help me in identifying my 3 Melior Pistols in pre or past world war 2. (i blured out the serial numbers on the pictures)

1. Melior in 6.35. The seller told me that his grandfather used this gun in ww2. It came with a holster and 2 magazines. I removed the grips for cleaning because i feared rust because of the worn finish but gladly there was any.

View attachment 644976

View attachment 644977

2. Melior in 7.65
View attachment 644978

View attachment 644979

3. Melior in 7.65
View attachment 644980
View attachment 644981 View attachment 644976 View attachment 644977 View attachment 644978 View attachment 644979 View attachment 644980 View attachment 644981
Hi Incite,
I'm pleased that you also like Louis Robar pistols .
I know the serial numbers of your pistols, and you can find two 6.35 and 7.65 caliber pistols in my tables to better understand the number of manufactured ones .
Your 6.35 caliber pistol was made before World War II .
The 7.65 caliber pistol with the serial number 6XXXX was manufactured either at the end of World War II or immediately after the war .
The 7.65 caliber pistol with the serial number 4XXXX was manufactured before 1930 .
All your Melior pistols, despite their differences, are called "Improved New Model"in advertising.

You can get more detailed information about the dates via a personal message .
I'll need your help, too .

Regards,
Vaclav Vriesen

·
Registered
875 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. Second, I know people are hestitant to post serial numbers but honestly it does help with identification and for people keeping data bases. Serial numbers for the 6.35 mm. "Old model" (including those used on the Jieffeco) ran from No. 1 to No. 38,978, and serial numbering of the 6.35 mm. "new" model began at No. 38,979. For the 7.65 mm. "Old Mod. Melior" (and Jieffeco ) the numbering ran from No. 1 to No. 27,350, and for the "New" Mod. Melior the numbering began at No. 27,351. so it would appear all 3 of your guns are considered "new model" then probably the easiest quick way to determine pre or post war is after WWII production resumed but without the grip safety. so seeing as all three guns have the grip safety, I would say they are pre-war.
Sam,
Please tell me where you got this information from ?
Have you seen an Old model 6.35 caliber pistol with the serial number 38978 ?
And why did you decide that the New model 6.35 caliber pistols started with the serial number 38979 ?
Have you personally seen an Old model pistol with the serial number 27350 ?
It is true that the earliest serial number of the Improved new model 1913-14 that I know at the moment is No. 27351 ,
but this does not mean that this is the earliest serial number of this model .

Regards,
Vaclav

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Vaclav, I got the serial number information from the following website. I personally have never seen the Old model pistol 27350. This is one of a couple sites I have used to gather information on the Meliors. It seems to be comprehensive but of course we are only as good as the information provided. were you thinking the models changed at earlier or later serial numbers?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Vaclav, I got the serial number information from the following website. I personally have never seen the Old model pistol 27350. This is one of a couple sites I have used to gather information on the Meliors. It seems to be comprehensive but of course we are only as good as the information provided. were you thinking the models changed at earlier or later serial numbers?
Sam,
I wonder who the author of this article is ? This author is completely incompetent .
This person did not provide any visual evidence .
Obviously, this author did not even read our article with Ed about the Old model Melior and Jieffeco pistols .
I would very much like to see an old model 6.35 caliber pistol with the serial number 38978 .
This gun would probably change my mind about the numbering of the Melior pistols of the Improved new model .
Yes, I think that the serial numbers of the Improved new model continued the order of the serial numbers of the old model .
But to talk about it with confidence you need to have more visual information
The serial numbers of the Improved new model 1913-14 pistols for the 6.35 caliber do not start with the serial number 38979, but almost 3000 earlier .
If we talk about the Melior and Jieffeco pistols of the Old model, I did not see the serial number above No. 27306, but I can assume that the serial numbers of these pistols for the 7.65 caliber could reach the serial number 28000 and even higher .
I advise you not to trust the information if it is not confirmed by visual information .
Wait for my article about the Melior and Jieffeco pistols of the Improved new model and you will understand a lot .

Regards,
Vaclav

1 - 8 of 8 Posts