Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to identify a Front Grip Strap Mark found on a Luger.
The Mark is as follows: SP.Bn.857 I interpret the SP. to be the
Municipal police Force Podsdam,and 857 to be the weapon mumber.
Can any one inform me of the Bn.meaning?This weapon is in the
collection of a frind! Thank You,Tom

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tom,

I don't have an answer for you, but I too would like to find out the identity of this marking. I have a 1920 dated Alphabet DWM, Sn:4647n, 9mm,with Weimar E/ArA4 acceptance stamps and sear safety, marked on the front strap: S.P. Bn. 241. The number 241 is also stamped on the rear of the frame above the lanyard loop.

The "S.P.Bn." marking is probably a police marking from some unit, but it is not identified in any of the reference material I have.

Can someone else in the forum identify this marking?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tom,

I forgot to sign my above post. My apologies. I've been reviewing several books, and have found a photo of an "S.P. Bn". marked Luger in Harry Jones book:"Luger Variations",(1959).It's on page 148, and shows a front strap marked: "SP.Bn. (number X'd out) followed by: 1198. It must have been a large police unit! I know Jones book is old, and a lot of information has come to light since its publication, but I still enjoy the pictures.

I also reviewed Jan Still's excellent book:"Weimar and Early Nazi Lugers", and found an illustration on page 140, figure 38b, which pretty well describes my Luger except for the front strap markings, which are for a different police unit. The serial number of that piece is:4134n. Jan says that the "n" suffix is out of sequence for that variation.

Is your friends Luger in the "n" suffix serial number range?

In the meantime, I'm still looking, maybe research will turn up something yet.

Charles

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ed,it is marked on the front Grip Strap,in the
fashion normally found.
Charles,The weapon has the Dove proof marks on the frame.Has a sear safety,no sign of a mag safety.One matching wood bottom mag.I am trying
to contact the owner,when I do,I'll arrange another visit,I examine the weapon closely and
provide additional info to you! Tom

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Thomas
Re SP.Bn.857.
I cannot find a Bn. There is a B, Bg, Br, and a Bd in the Prussian State Police orders. It may be some sort of additional unit modifier. (The magnitude of the weapon number strongly indicates a police stamp.)

As you stated S.P. is Schutzpolizei Potsdam.

I would speculate that the original unit mark (probably Bn) should have been crossed out when the new mark (probably S.P.) was added. The unit stamper may have made a mistake or a series of mistakes.
Jan

·
Registered
98 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Grunt

I'm trying to identify a Front Grip Strap Mark found on a Luger.
The Mark is as follows: SP.Bn.857 I interpret the SP. to be the
Municipal police Force Podsdam,and 857 to be the weapon mumber.
Can any one inform me of the Bn.meaning?This weapon is in the
collection of a frind! Thank You,Tom
Grunt,

"SP.Bn.857" translates to "Saechsische Schutzpolizei Bautzen
Waffe 857".

Klaus

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Charles, cj029:
If you find out why there is a number stamped on the rear of the frame on your luger please let me know what it means. I have an Erfurt Luger serial number 531 (l) with a SP.19. stamp and the number 1924 stamped in the same location as yours. See below:

Download Attachment: LUGER 11.jpg
74.6KB

Download Attachment: LUGER 13.jpg
97.25KB

Thanks, this group knows everything!

Dean Burley

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Patrice,

That is a very interesting Luger you have showed us. The inspector and proof marks on the right receiver are unusual, and the gun appears to have been numbered originally in the military style.

If you could tell us please, what are the marks which appear on the barrel? Does the barrel have a witness mark? With close examination, can you report if the original right receiver numbers appear to have been removed and replaced?

--Dwight

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Dwight,
The gun seems to be in his original finish , only the takedouwn lever nor original , for me the numbers aren't remouved or replaced

Download Attachment: barrel number.jpg
86.55KB

What about the proof mark , seems normal for 1921 ...

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Patrice,

That particular eagle stamp is uncommon. It is not one I am familiar with as a 1921-era proof. Costanzo, whose description is suspect, documents this stamp on 1933 reworks of military and commercial pistols. Your gun is actually a rather clear example of those proofs.

I just noticed that I mis-spoke in my previous message, I was actually wondering if you could see evidence of the right receiver proofs being removed or replaced?

This gun is numbered in the military style, which precludes it being Alphabet Commercial production. Is the same eagle proof stamped on the barrel? Frankly, the first, best explanation for these stamps is complete re-inspection, proofing, and acceptance after barrrel replacement. I can't imagine another reason for them. I have been hoping that some characteristic of the pistol would help indicate a date for these proofs, somehow I doubt that is going top happen.

--Dwight

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Sorry , I don't have the gun in my hand , a friend send me those pics , and the gun was in old collection since many years.
Not common to do fake stamps on those guns , for a period without value here : nobody is interested for weimar area and value for this gun , less 800$

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
Dwight,

There are three of these in my database in the 4xxxq serial range marked by the Bremen Schupo and reported to have "Weimar dove proofs," including the one at the head of this thread. I think they are Alphabet DWMs with serial numbers added to the small parts.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Don,

The "Weimar dove proof" covers a lot of territory. The proofs on the gun Patrice has presented are eagle #148, p.109 of Costanzo. These are very distinctive, and not common. When I hear Weimar dove proof, without photo or Costanzo reference, it brings to mind marks more like #54 and #55 (Costanzo p. 87) and similar.

Check the first picture in the 8/3 post, there are no numbers on the edge of the takedown lever and trigger plate. Also, the center toggle and extractor are numbered on the top. I'd be curious to know corresponding details on your other q suffix examples.

I may be being a little too detail oriented here--the proof details interest me--and I suspect that the nature of the gun reveals something about the proof, rather than the other way around.

--Dwight

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
The Luger doesn't have the mag safety notch cut in the side panel either. Suggesting that it was produced, or at least procured after the mag safeties were discontinued. The "Doves" are unusual...

Ron

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.