Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Identifying a Luger

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Doubs 
#1 ·
I have been trying to identify a Luger that I received from my dad. He was able to save it from a buyback program which left us with no history from the previous owner. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This appears to be a 1920's luger, perhaps a WW1 that was refurbished. The 'germany' on the front of the gun shows it was legally exported from Germany to the USA - while the gun has obvious external markings, serial number, which is a sign it went into military or police service post WW1 - is it in 7.65mm (30 luger) or 9mm luger?

Welcome to the forum!

Ed

#3 ·
I don't have any 9mm ammo around to properly check, but I have seen people refer to putting a #2 pencil down the barrel, and while I'm sure it's not the most accurate it does fit. Just out of curiosity what markings are you referring to? I've only done a few hours of basic research, and all I could gather is that it would've been manufactured sometime between 1906-1922 from the markings. Last question, the letter that I've read about in reference to serial numbers, is that only with the serial number on the front of the gun, or would that also have been stamped with the one on the left side next to the horizontal N with a crown. I really appreciate your help with this.

#4 · (Edited)
The "lazy" or horizontal crown/N on the left side of the receiver indicates a pre-WW1 commercial Luger. It has, however, been numbered in the military style. Most likely it was a post-WW1 rework as the font of the serial number on the receiver is different than on the rest of the parts..

IMO, most of the parts - frame, side plate, toggle train - came from a WW1 military Luger but the receiver came from a commercial gun. The barrel shows no markings on the underside suggesting that it's a replacement and probably in .30 caliber.

The suffix letter to the serial number on your Luger will only be on the frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.