Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

241 - 255 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Klaus, first I want to say thank you for helping so many people ID their tools. You have been more than generous with your time. That said, I too have questions.
Question one. Who is the maker and date period.
Photo one, my tool's S with 7 stamp on top of it. Photo two, a lists picture showing an S that is like mine as far as I can tell.

1 ToolM2.jpg 2 ToolList .jpg

2nd question. What does this marking mean? I have seen an Austrian eagle stamped on bayonet that came out kind of like this one - looking like an asterisk.
Photo three, a marking I see no where else on the list. Photo four different lighting.

3 ToolM3.jpg 4 ToolM4.jpg

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Your tool is an underleined small S accepted late tool from the rifle factory in Erfurt, made in About 1916/17.
The asterisk is a Police marking as can be on tools magazines and other Police things for a short time after the Great War in the late 1920.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Klaus,

Not exactly a match for my 1913 DWM but close enough period wise. I was talking with an Ebay seller and he says he doesn't deal in Luger holsters with unit markings because he can't match the pistol that originally went with that unit. That is not my outlook. The history is what it is all about. My pistol has no unit markings on it, is pretty close to as issued condition. But to me it has no character without some form of history about it. New off the factory floor has less meaning to me than a well worn, not abused, rifle that has evidence of being used by a person that relied on it in a life and death situation.
You provided enough history about the tool to make it special in its own right and I very much appreciate the information you have provided to myself and others over many years. It is now our duty to pass that information along to others we pass our collections on to. Mark

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thank you Klaus......is the unmarked tool pre WWI commercial? And have you ever seen a pin punch like that one?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
A picture from above would help to answer your question what the unmarked tool is. It could be a commercial or even a Military tool. The acceptance stamps on military tools came in 1910.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thank you....I wondered about that due to the wavy texture appearance. And now that I look at it, it seems to be a little longer than the DWM tool.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Thank you....I wondered about that due to the wavy texture appearance. And now that I look at it, it seems to be a little longer than the DWM tool.
Hope you can see the difference on the picture... left is a Weimar like yours, right a DWM tool
aP1230358.jpg

241 - 255 of 255 Posts