Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Independence Day Treat

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  bayoned 
#1 ·
I bought the 1917 from a citizen at the Richmond Gun Show many years ago for a pittance. I have always favored the 1917 Smith & Wesson over the Colt.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: cirelaw
#6 ·
Sweet pistol with accoutremon. Very rare grouping in excellent condition. Nicely photographed. Museum grade.
I have a fondness for anything John Browning. The 1911 is certainly high on the desirability scale but the Smith & Wesson is a pistol one would proudly take into harms way as well.
I actually carry a S&W for personal defence. 5 shot .38 snubby hammerless. Small, light, Guaranteed to go bang 5 times. No racking the slide or safety to forget. No brass with my thumbprint at the scene I just left.

#7 ·
Jerry,

I know what you mean about policing up the brass. No matter how careful you are, there's always a few that want to hide.:rolleyes:
Pat

#13 ·
The lines of the 1917 S&W certainly have more appeal than the Colt...but the 1917 Colt reminds me of a small cannon. When I was a kid in the 1960's you could buy either of these guns for $30.00. They were plentiful! A local gunsmith in Charlotte, N.C. would cut the barrel on the Colts all the way back until the end of the barrel was even with the end of the ejector rod. He would even recrown the barrel(no front sight). He referred to these snub-nosed Colts as "pocket guns". My older brother shot one of these at night and the flash was so great it looked like a flame thrower! Makes me wish for the '60's again.
George's rig looks great! Thanks George.
Tim H.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.