Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like any info on this Luger. It is a S/42 G Date on Barrell. SN: 5431(with what appears to be a cursive C under SN.
all Numbers seem to match with the 31 on all other parts
Markings on left side of slide are a symbol with W154 then S92 and then what I beleave is the Mauser mark(a pheonix type of bird)
The Magizine has fxo then 37 underneath/P08 Magizine base is aluminum with SN:2200 then a q with a line coming from the circular side of the q then a + sign underneath. Any Information Value, who could have carried it, etc. that you can give me on the Luger and the Magizine would be greatly appreciated. will try to put some pictures on I attempted to but my camera sucks and wouldn't take good closeups.

· Registered
550 Posts
Hi Kenneth,
* Your Luger was made in 1935. "G" was the date code assigned for that year. S/42 was the Manufacturer's code assigned to Mauser in Oberndorf.
* The W154 & S92 are Army Inspector acceptance stamps. 6 combinations of Inspector's marks show up on 1935 examples. Browse the "Third Reich Luger" section or do a search on "G date" for some interesting threads and info.
* The "pheonix' mark is actually the proof test eagle acceptance stamp. Collector's refer to this style as the "early" style droop winged eagle test proof. There were 3 styles used in 1934-1942 on Army P.08's
* There are 4-5 parts (trigger, hold-open, firing pin, rear toggle pin) hidden internal to the pistol which have to maintain matching numbers also. The 5th one is the forward toggle link called the breach block link. It's S/number (last 2 digits)is under the firing proof on the left side of the "knuckle" of this link. Sometimes it can be seen without field stripping; most times not.
* Your "fxo" (C.G.Haenel) mag was from a later Luger. It would match to a "byf"(later Mauser code) made in '41 numbered 2000 q block. WWII P.08's were made in blocks of 10,000 guns. The mag's "+" indicates this mag was the reserve (spare) magazine for that gun. The two E/37's are the acceptance stamps assigned to the Army Inspector(s) in or near the Haenel plant in Suhl, Germany. At Army issue, your 1935 "c" block would wear an aluminum base plug side pinned to a tin (bright) colored tube having a coiled spring.
* J.Still, Third Reich Lugers, suggests 54,070 of these P.08's were made in 1935 spanning S/N range 950a-5000f.
* Value, given this piece is all matching, is mainly dependent on the amount of original rust blue finish which survived as well as the amount of original straw coloring(heat tempering) still appearing on the small parts of this example. Without any idea what your example's condition is, any number would be misleading. The range of value spans $550 for a shooter to $2000 for an absolutely pristine collector's non- matching mag example. If you can post picture, I'm sure the Forum members would be better able to formulate a realistic value for you.
* Trust this helps some.

· Registered
550 Posts
Kenneth,
* Thanks for the pics!
* "b" block; not "c" block.
* Value = Subjective condition rating = Dart Board. One standard, the just released/updated 2004 Blue Book, allows $1500 for 98%, $1100 for 95%, $800 for 90%, & $700 for 80% original finish on a matching #'d(except mag) Army "G" Date P.08. Book prices based on show sales, gun lists, etc. from 2003 input. Always subject to many Pro/Con comments amoung the collecting fraternity members.
* Yours is a very nicely blued example, weakened somewhat by straw loss & sideplate condition. I'd WAG at least $1300-$1400, private sale, if the bore does not detract, it is all matching, the blue shown is uniform on all the unseen surfaces including grip straps, the barrel has not been reblued, the inside of the frame is still "in the white", fully functional, grips correct/matching, and no importer's marks for starters.
* Possibly others will be willing to take a stab to temper this "one man's hip shot".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.