Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know very little about lugers and your help would be appreciated.The luger I have is in mint condition, strawing is excellent, and serial numbers all match 70185. On the right side of the pistol, are three x marks with crowns above them with an eagle next to them. There is also an eagle on top of the barrel.In front of the toggle is a nice scripted DWM. the grips,I assume, are brown walnut. I can't find a date. Is it military or commercial and when was it manufactured? It also came with a brown, hard shell holster marked on the inside with an eagle with a 2 under it. It was a gift from my brother.

Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Hi Joe. Without posting photos it's going to be very difficult to tell what it is. Is it 9mm ? The three X proofs are found only on 1908 Commercial pistols.And the serial number is in the correct range. "IF" that is what it is, you've got a fairly scarce pistol. According to Kinyon's Lugers at Random, only about 9000 were made.
The holster sounds like it has a Luftwaffe proof. Do the eagles wings "droop"? Are there any other marks on the holster? Try to post some photos. Sounds like you could have a winner.
Ron

·
Registered
542 Posts
Joseph,
* A belated welcome to the Forum.
* Check out these threads and the companion threads called out.
(1) http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1280
(2) http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=914
* If no stocklug is present, this example would be a DWM, 1908 Commercial pistol likely routed to the Military in 1913-1914. Collectors have termed them "1908 Commercial Army."
* The hardshell holster is of particular interest as the e/2 inspector's acceptance mark indicates a WWII Luftwaffe (Airforce) usage.
* Detail pictures, please, would confirm these thoughts.
Respectfully,
Bob

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forum members,
My luger is 9mm and identical to the picture threads mentioned by Bob. They look like the same pistol'markings'too.
The hard shell holster is dark brown and the eagle's wings do droop and you can see the feet of the eagle too. I can't find any other marks on the holster. It came with an extra mag.
I still don't know how to send pictures yet, but will try today.Thanks for your help, Joe ( is it possible to place 'a ball-park figure'on the pistol and holster?

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Joseph, welcome to the forum.

From your intial description, it is a commerical, as serial numbers were usually 4 digits, and yours is "serial numbers all match 70185".

Ball parks are hard to do, lugers seldom go for less than $450 and usually $550, and up, all depending on condition, rarity, etc. If yours is in "mint" condition, that could raise the value a lot, however, mint condition guns, many times have been reblued and thus the value plummits to the $450 value.

Many, clear, sharp focused pictures could give you a rough value. There is a tutorial in the Help section to post pictures.

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.