Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,862 Posts
Generally I always considered the WaA markings to be proofs. My reasoning is that they (as well as the Eagle/N & Crown/N) indicated acceptance.

I am aware that another view point is that the WaA markings are not proofs as these markings only identified what organization had approved/used the piece. There is merit to this as there are a number of different markings applied to the weapons over a period of time - examples of which could be the unit markings seen (usually) on early german weapons. Many of these would not be considered proof marks.

· Registered
2,862 Posts
quote:Originally posted by garfield

I agree with Pancho; Waffenamts are not proof marks and proof marks are not acceptance marks. To use the two terms interchangeably is incorrect and would be only something that I would expect from a person either not familiar with this area of collecting or simply lazy. The use of proper terminology is very important. While it may seem pedantic to expect the proper terms to be used, if this simple rule is not followed, then communication is extremely labored or a total waste of time. Again, my opinion, only.

Having said that, I do not mean to imply that I do not fail in this effort from time to time.
You are corrfect in that they are different animals. On the board it is probably better to keep them separate. But it is easy to fall from grace at times. Also, on occassion, to refer to both as the same saves a lot of time in explanation. Again a sign of being lazy and/or the short attention span of the person to whom you are talking to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.