Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
Looking for Artillery Luger
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, been wanting a Luger for years and treated myself. I used a well known establishment what I know about it
1918 DWM with 4" that was grade at 94-97% and 8.5 /10 bore. It was cheaper than anything locally so I grabbed it. Non matching mags. Super excited to finally get into a firearm with a collectors following that talks to each other. Pics attached. Look forward to being an active part of this board. I haven't seen many WW1 Era with the mark on the front of the trigger guard that this one has, another reason I snagged it.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Line

Camera accessory Wood Door Machine Cameras & optics

Window Camera accessory Tire Cylinder Electronic device

Font Bumper Gun accessory Auto part Metal

·
Registered
256 Posts
Very nice. I would encourage you to attack the FAQ section here, and read up on these as you have time. I read for about a year before making my first luger purchase, even though I had collected other German small arms for over 25 years before that. There is so much information out there, and the more knowledgeable you are, the more comfortable you will be will adding addtional guns to the stable. This forum is indeed a wealth of information and the luger community here is second to none.

Welcome (back...I see you've been a member since '17) to the forum!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

What in the world is the front of the trigger marked with? Austria?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
welcome to the forum and congrats in your first of many LOL.....
When we looked at a lesser quality one that was more expensive locally, after holding it she said "I like the feel of this, these are the types of guns I don't mind you collecting because they tell a story" .... SO she sorta gave me an endorsement

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice. I would encourage you to attack the FAQ section here, and read up on these as you have time. I read for about a year before making my first luger purchase, even though I had collected other German small arms for over 25 years before that. There is so much information out there, and the more knowledgeable you are, the more comfortable you will be will adding addtional guns to the stable. This forum is indeed a wealth of information and the luger community here is second to none.

Welcome (back...I see you've been a member since '17) to the forum!
Thank you Daniel, yeah I wanted a P08 Luger for a long time then got into other guns, then got the pull again. Apparently the stamp on the front of my 1918 DWM wasn't original I would have expected the place I got it from to know that. But live and learn, wont be my last P08 for sure

·
Registered
214 Posts
.......Apparently the stamp on the front of my 1918 DWM wasn't original .....
Beautiful gun!

Regarding its originality, isn't that trigger guard stamp "original"? It may not have been factory, but it was applied during the war, for wartime purposes, by the military (according to RyanE's post).

I would think it would be similar for some regimental stamping on the gripstrap; not applied at the factory, but for collecting purposes, "original."

Am I missing something here?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe I misunderstood the post reference someone posted where it said only 7 or 8 of them were ever marked this way and mine wasn't "original" thats what I took from the earlier linked post

·
Registered
273 Posts
That is a beautiful Luger! Congratulations on your first one, I remember seeing that on for sale online. I agree with you about local prices, the few small gun shows or local shops (100 mile radius) are asking ridiculous prices and comparable to prices offered by some reputable online dealers it’s a better deal online!
Jim

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
When we looked at a lesser quality one that was more expensive locally, after holding it she said "I like the feel of this, these are the types of guns I don't mind you collecting because they tell a story" .... SO she sorta gave me an endorsement
There you go... don't miss the chance!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is a beautiful Luger! Congratulations on your first one, I remember seeing that on for sale online. I agree with you about local prices, the few small gun shows or local shops (100 mile radius) are asking ridiculous prices and comparable to prices offered by some reputable online dealers it’s a better deal online!
Jim
Yep I was advised that one place wasn't consistent with their grading and the establishment I got mine from was as one person called it "Money in the bank" and that if they graded it a certain way that i had nothing to worry about. This is the best christmas gift ever. Only issue is my FFL is shut down till after the new year. So when he gets back he will have a pile of mail and guns to log in and distribute

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
You made a fine purchase and I'm sure it won't be your last. I've been collecting luger pistols since 1964 and have a fair number of them in my safe now. I just ordered about a month ago one more luger. It is a .45 Caliber reproduction of the Mod. 1907 Test Trials Luger that was used in the US military trials that year and finally resulated in adoption of the Mod. 1911 Colt pistol. Anyway the piece I've ordered (to be delivered mid 2022) is an exact replica of the two .45 Lugers submitted by Mr. Luger for the test trials. If you are serious about accumulating Lugers you won't be 100% happy until you have one in your accumulation. Again you have made a beautiful start in Lugers.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts