Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere I heard it was not safe to carry one in the chamber? But i look at the mechanics of the gun, but do not see a weakness, except the sear bar. Is this what they were talking about? And if so, does the sear safety on police lugers remedy this problem?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
With the safety on and your booger hook off the bang switch it's as safe as any other gun. If you carry unloaded you could miss a turn trying to chamber a round.

The sear safety is to prevent a chambered round from being discharged with the side plate off or from a top cannon that has been removed with a chambered round.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I fully agree with the above comments. I will add that I believe and have long read, by many firearms technical writers that I consider expert, that the safety bar design blocking the trigger bar and sear movement on the Luger is an extremely sound design.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I will add a fee more points here. The Luger is one of the few designs and arguably the most obvious one of any, where a user can both see and feel (say in the dark) that the gun is both loaded and the safety condition. Both in writing (albeit small letters!) and by a easy to understand physical relocation of parts that can be both seen and felt and not just the position of the safety lever which could be confusing to someone new pistol. Not many guns that you can look at from a side profile (left in this case) from say 10 feet away and tell if it is loaded and if the safety is engaged or not.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
While it's likely that the Luger is perfectly safe with the safety on and a round chambered, I personally will not do that. Just my choice and I cannot fault anyone who does.

WRT the police sear safety, it's only in play when the side plate is removed and allows the pin to enter the hole in the top of the sear bar. With the side plate on, the sear safety pin is raised above the bar and the pistol can be fired if the thumb safety isn't engaged.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Are there any military instructions for the Luger that cover this aspect? Solder on guard duty, preparing for an attack either way?
There probably are somewhere as in any military there are regulations for everything. As a practical matter I can say with some assurance that pistols were carried loaded (meaning round chambered) in the front lines and in areas with any potential danger and many with little. I believe that frequently Bundeswehr officers and NCOs and BGS carried P.1 (P.38) loaded in training and routine patrols, at least many that I worked with did. I understand the reluctance of many to carry a Luger loaded as say opposed to an auto with an external hammer. While I understand it I also feel it’s baseless. Another comparison would be to all of the so called striker fired autos dominating the pistol market the last 30 years. IMO a loaded Luger with the safety on is MUCH safer than most of those carried loaded. As the first response indicated, a Luger with a fully loaded magazine (particularly) can be problematic to cycle on the first round as can many other designs, easier to load with slide or breech block already to the rear.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
This is why my everyday carry is a colt defender, compact officers' 1911, cocked and locked one in the pipe 24/7. Safe as it gets, don't miss a turn if it ever comes up. Grip safety and a thumb safety/slide lock. With a loaded, halfcocked, safety off carry option.

I have a Kahr CW9 with a technaclip no safeties of any kind just like a glock, booger hook is it. I would think a loaded luger with the safety on would be "safer" (that said) if I carry the little Kahr (fishing gun) it's loaded. I have a Kimber Micro9 with a technaclip I carry a lot also, out to dinner 1911 style, with the smaller profile, one in the pipe hammer back, safety on.

I wouldn't be afraid to carry a luger, I keep thinking about a baby just for fun, special occasions, weddings etc.😁

1 - 8 of 8 Posts