Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 1908 commercial luger. Serial number in the 41000 range. I have been offered an unmarked undated holster. Is there anyway to determine if this holster would be appropriate with a 1908 commercial luger

Attachments

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,547 Posts
Elmer, With no date stamp the best you can say is the holster you show was made before 1926. Sometime on or around this date the German Luger holster was changed to the WW2 style. The style you show was likely adopted well before WW1 but the exact date is unknown to me. The 1900-1902 commercial was very different..more along the line of a Navy.
Sturgess might have the exact dates in his book.

Reactions: MCG

·
Registered
545 Posts
A commercial holster would have a cleaning rod holder adjacent (front and left of pouch more specifically) to to the mag pouch. Some have a different style tool pouch and a holder for a pin punch. Most are undated with no stamps. However, I have seen examples that are regiment stamped. Some have a painted buckle (brown or black). See photos I found here on the forum that were posted over the years by members.

On some commercial holsters, the distance between the two back belt straps will he shorter than on a military holster.

The photos you show appear to be a military holster and made before 1926 as Jerrry points out. Is the tool pouch button brass? Are the buckle straps oval or round?

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tool pouch stud is brass. Don’t understand the term “buckle strap”
Since the pistol is marked Prv i was s hoping that the military style holster would work

·
Registered
96 Posts
A commercial holster would have a cleaning rod holder adjacent (front and left of pouch more specifically) to to the mag pouch. Some have a different style tool pouch and a holder for a pin punch. Most are undated with no stamps. However, I have seen examples that are regiment stamped. Some have a painted buckle (brown or black). See photos I found here on the forum that were posted over the years by members.

On some commercial holsters, the distance between the two back belt straps will he shorter than on a military holster.

The photos you show appear to be a military holster and made before 1926 as Jerrry points out. Is the tool pouch button brass? Are the buckle straps oval or round?
A very good looking holster.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Buckle strap, aka "closure strap" that is the leather piece on front of hood flap with holes that goes through the buckle to "buckle-up" and secure/close the holster.

Prv in the magwell is thought to indicate "private purchase". These were often officer pistols......especially the 9mm. In WWI, the officers purchased their own lugers and holsters. So, many collectors will most appropriately pair up a 1908 commercial luger with a commercial holster.

That does not mean that a miltary style holster could not be paired up with a 1908 commercial luger at some point in time. In WWII, as allies liberated cities, American soldiers had piles of lugers and holsters to choose from. They may get a luger then go over and sort theough a pile of holsters and select one with non regard to style, date, or stamps. Maybe they liked the brown one over a black one.

I have a commercial 1908 that was captured in Munich in 1945 and he came in a WWI military holster that is unit marked.

It really comes down to your preference.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
As far I have obsurved are the buckles of commercial holsters colored in the color of the holsters, or trimmed with leather, but never tined. Some early commercial holsters has flaps in the Navy style as Jerry described (correct is that the commercial holsters were earlier and the Navy took them as model or prototype; I don´t know the coorect English word for that).
Your holster has a tin(ed) buckle (and I can see some traces of a stamp under the flap of your holster) Often are the stamps very faint after the years of using.
Some examples of commercial holsters ...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Some officers owned a Reichsrevolver with holster. In some cases were the holsters altered for the Luger under regulation of the 1909 or 1910 dated orders when the officer bought his Luger.
I think that the holster (of von Lüttwitz) is a nice example for that. There were 2 officers in 1909 in the Grenadier Regiment zu Pferde Freiherr von Derfflinger, Nr. 3. It was a Dragoon Regiment.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts