Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Maybe... but maybe not. I see three things that suggest the possibility that it's a Vopo. First is the electro penciled sear bar "82" indicating a replacement part force matched to the gun. Second is the barrel sides not being smoothly polished near the muzzle and third is the dull zinc looking magazine base. I have a Vopo Luger with a matching mag just like that.

Look on the underside of the barrel for a Crown/N stamp and possibly three digits that would indicate an East German replacement barrel. Check the magazine for "2/1001" markings on the side of the body near the base. Finally, look at the front of the frame to see if it has been "scrubbed" of it's original serial number and re-numbered. One of your pictures show the receiver rails estending slightly beyond the frame, an indication that the frame may have been ground down a little.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Maybe... but maybe not. I see three things that suggest the possibility that it's a Vopo. First is the electro penciled sear bar "82" indicating a replacement part force matched to the gun. Second is the barrel sides not being smoothly polished near the muzzle and third is the dull zinc looking magazine base. I have a Vopo Luger with a matching mag just like that.

Look on the underside of the barrel for a Crown/N stamp and possibly three digits that would indicate an East German replacement barrel. Check the magazine for "2/1001" markings on the side of the body near the base. Finally, look at the front of the frame to see if it has been "scrubbed" of it's original serial number and re-numbered. One of your pictures show the receiver rails estending slightly beyond the frame, an indication that the frame may have been ground down a little.
Thank you the quick answer. I've found the "2/1001" and the Crown/N stamp but no digits.

·
Administrator
13,504 Posts
I was going to say no, not Vopo, but after reviewing Doubs comments ( :) ) and realizing he was onto something, then you showed the matching magazine. Its either a very luck magazine matching (which happens), or more likely a DDR (vopo) that was not changed or marked.
Its a nice vopo / nice luger

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to say no, not Vopo, but after reviewing Doubs comments ( :) ) and realizing he was onto something, then you showed the matching magazine. Its either a very luck magazine matching (which happens), or more likely a DDR (vopo) that was not changed or marked.
Its a nice vopo / nice luger
I am very impressed by all this expertise. Thank you all very much!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Kress, some of the EG replacement barrels have the C/N and a three digit date such as "953" for September, 1953. Some like yours, however, do not have the date on them. Rest assured that your EG barrel is well made and should shoot just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
The C/N on the barrel certainly looks like a post war R/C replacement barrel to me.

So does the relatively dull finish - possible evidence of a dip refinish.

The 2/1001 mark is from post WW-II (DDR owned, DDR concealment code) Haenel Schmeisser production. (At that point taken over by the DDR collective "Ernst Thalmann" company).

Looks like a very good example of a post war Russian Captured DDR police rework.

·
Super Moderator
4,034 Posts
Probably a 1990s Frankonia rework of a VoPo. These were well done, equipped with Nill grips and a full overhaul.

Here is a similar one. Crown/N barrel, DDR magazine. With the box and manual. The manual is new old Mauser stock, reused for the 1990s refurbs.

Reactions: Douglas_Jr

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Probably a 1990s Frankonia rework of a VoPo. These were well done, equipped with Nill grips and a full overhaul.

Here is a similar one. Crown/N barrel, DDR magazine. With the box and manual. The manual is new old Mauser stock, reused for the 1990s refurbs.

View attachment 646757 View attachment 646758
Hello Vlim

How are Nr 71 and its sibling nr 72 doing? 😃

So you mean that this gun is an old Mauser from 1940 later turned into a Vopo and then refurbished by Frankonia, or is it a "copy Vopo" built by Frankonia?

·
Super Moderator
4,034 Posts
They are both doing well:)

It is the first scenario. From Wehrmacht to DDR to Frankonia.

Mauser obtained a number of guns from the same source and had them rebuilt with their own high gloss finish and marked with the Mauser company name together with the rebuild date, usually 1997 or 1998. But the Frankonia ones have a more traditional, more matte dip blue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are both doing well:)

It is the first scenario. From Wehrmacht to DDR to Frankonia.

Mauser obtained a number of guns from the same source and had them rebuilt with their own high gloss finish and marked with the Mauser company name together with the rebuild date, usually 1997 or 1998. But the Frankonia ones have a more traditional, more matte dip blue.
Thank you very much for this answer.

·
Super Moderator
4,034 Posts
Check the inside of the grips. If they are Nill grips, they should have the Nill name on the left grip's inside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts