Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a J.P. Sauer hammer drilling, serial number 112937 (probably made around 1904) in 12x12x11.15x65R that has a marking stamped in the buttstock on the left side between the cheekpiece and the buttplate. The first line has a circle about 3/8" in diameter, the center of which is indistinct, followed by the letters Bg; below this the number 594 is stamped deeply into the stock. All other markings and proofs are normal for the period.

While the stampings may be ownership marks of some sort that derive from the drilling being kept at a hunting club, several people have suggested that they are military marks of some sort. My knowledge of German military arms is limited to Luftwaffe drillings and shotguns, since my main field of interest is German hunting and forest history, literature, decorative objects and sporting weapons.

Any suggestions about these markings would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Paul,

just forwarded your request on to Jim Cate, who is currently working on a Sauer long gun book. Can you post a photo of the stock? Would be helpful.

Regards

Martin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.