Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received notice from Jan's daughter, it was unexpected in happening so suddenly.
I am very sad.
I first met Jan at the Reno show if I remember correctly. I was introduced to him and we chatted for a short while.
Around the same time he was on the lugerforum hosted by John Dunkle. At some point, he wanted his own site, because he wanted a site that could include all country collectibles. In the forum, we have approx 50 sub-forums, with 465,000 posts by our 15,200 members on this forum.
Over the years I met him at several guns show and when I took an Alaskan cruise, we stopped in Juneau where Jan and his son picked up my wife, and my parents. I spent the entire day looking at his collection and talking guns. It was a nice day and the last time I saw him in person. Although we talked on the phone numerous times every year, I wish I'd talked more often.
Sleeve Font Terrestrial plant Newspaper History

· Premium Member
627 Posts
I started collecting military side arms only about 18-20 months ago, so I never had the opportunity to interact with Jan. Nevertheless, he has made a huge impact on me, my knowledge base, and my enjoyment of this hobby. He is truly a giant among men. Condolences to all Jan's family members and friends. County yourself lucky that you knew him personally!

Rest in peace Jan.

JGW

· Moderator - Diamond Bullet Member
German Navy 1848 -1918
2,797 Posts
Very sorry to hear of Jan's passing. His books and this forum are enduring reminders of his contributions to the Luger collecting world.

· Super Moderator
5,616 Posts
So sorry to hear this, but his condition hadn't been well for a number of years, we took over his moderation tasks here and of course his book update plans never were completed.

He was an example to serious collectors and authors and I will miss his work. I am glad I was able to contribute a little bit to it.

My condoleances to his family.

· Premium Member
465 Posts
Many of the collectors here in Alaska that are in the Luger community have stories of Jan. Many a collector at our local Anchorage and Wasilla/Palmer gun shows had positive things to say about him. I wasn't fortunate enough to meet him, but I send my condolences to his family and those of you on the forum who were fortunate enough to meet and befriend him. Losing a friend is never easy.

Rick Dembroski
Wasilla Alaska

· Silver Bullet Member
1,009 Posts
Very sad to hear of the passing of an icon. His "red" books were among the first I purchased and left an indelible positive impression on me. They are on the bookshelf across from my desk and I literally see them every day and use them frequently. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but as long as there are collectors, his memories will live on.

· Premium Member
906 Posts
I received notice from Jan's daughter, it was unexpected in happening so suddenly.
I am very sad.
I first met Jan at the Reno show if I remember correctly. I was introduced to him and we chatted for a short while.
Around the same time he was on the lugerforum hosted by John Dunkle. At some point, he wanted his own site, because he wanted a site that could include all country collectibles. In the forum, we have approx 50 sub-forums, with 465 posts by our 15,200 members on this forum.
Over the years I met him at several guns show and when I took an Alaskan cruise, we stopped in Juneau where Jan and his son picked up my wife, and my parents. I spent the entire day looking at his collection and talking guns. It was a nice day and the last time I saw him in person. Although we talked on the phone numerous times every year, I wish I'd talked more often.
................. View attachment 685935
I also met Jan at a Reno gunshow, he seemed very nice and was very humble when I complimented him about one of his books.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts