Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

2,196 Posts
A huge loss to the hobby, thanks to Mr. Still for all his work in producing really great and useful books for us and future generations.

Reactions: Edward Tinker

· Registered
21 Posts
Bad news travels fast. Sad news likewise. I received the news on a different forum this morning. My experience here was one of curiosity and research. My involvement with Axis firearms was limited to a single Nazi & Waffen proofed pistol. All the information I was able to find was right here, courtesy of Jan C. Still. There was enough in that one interaction to influence me to learn more. Since then, I have added several pistols to the pile, and no doubt, there will be more down the line. This place got me to where I have a vested interest in the subject, and, although I am not a high end collector, I am one of many who have benefited enormously from this forum.
It has been a while, but I check in from time to time.
Today is a somber visit.
Condolences to the folks here.
KIndest thoughts for those who are his family and loved ones, and sincere sentiment for the spirit and soul Of Jan C. Still. Rest in peace, brother, you have earned it.

· Registered
2,146 Posts
I never had the pleasure of meeting Jan but his books are among my most important references. The Luger collecting community is so much better for his contributions to the collective knowledge we all share. He will live on as his works will never die. May he RIP.

· Registered
68 Posts
I remember my late father talking about this site and Jan when I was younger. I know my dad read through Jan's books and learned a lot from him (and others) here on this site as well.

I wasn't always interested in collectible firearms and I now wish I would have spent more time talking to (and listening to) my dad about his firearms and sharing that experience more when he was still here.

I found this site after going through some of his emails, and reading through my dad's old posts here on this site make me feel closer to him, even though he has been gone a couple years. Jan made this all possible with this site and, even though I didn't know him, all of the comments show how much Jan was loved here and in the collecting world.

My condolences to his family. RIP Jan.

· Registered
1,138 Posts
I first met Jan decades ago when he joined the National Automatic Pistol Collectors Association. I collected and studied police TR police weapons at the time. His first published effort was paperback and covered WWI guns. As his interest grew, he enlisted the aid of many members of NAPCA to assist in collecting data, providing photos and providing documentation and written contributions to his Third Reich books. I helped write the police chapter of his Axis pistols volume. Truthfully, without their help, the books would not have been written. May he rest in peace.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts