Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

· Registered
4,747 Posts
I just got the news about Jan's passing.
It is a tragic loss for the community.
He was the first author I had the chance to interact with, and his willingness to share his knowledge and patience with a foreign newbie like me taught me lot and surely set the standards that we still endure in this forum.
Finally, I consider him a truly visionary by using the Internet Forums to recruit other collector's help and world wide information, now a common practice.
It is a sad day indeed.
My deepest condolences to his family.
Douglas.

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Douglas, you are so right. I was a beginning collector and he spent time helping me. Him and I were talking and somehow the topic came up to him posting the book & pages that he would put into a posting. I know that he was not that fond of computers, so every post he did was from his heart. Anyway, he told me why he put that book and page information there. He said the classic line, "well, thats why I put it in a book, so I didn't have to remember the information!"
:D

· Super Moderator
2,920 Posts
Jan asked me early on if he could use the Mauser Banner information that I had placed in Constanzo's World of Lugers book. He also wanted the r,s,t,u information that I had published in AUTOMAG back in 1982. Naturally, I wanted to help him as much as possible and advised him he could use this information. Later we invited him to Chattanooga for one of our NAPCA Conventions. If I remember correctly the organization paid for his trip. I enjoyed talking with him during that time and have conversed with him via e-mail numerous times in the past. I think he diligently tried to be totally honest in the presentation of the info that is found in his books. That should speak loudly to all of us. He, like many pioneers in the collecting field, will be missed. Jim Cate, author of the Sauer reference books.

· Registered
WWII firearms, holsters, insignia, badges, Japanese swords, and other militaria
638 Posts
Very sorry to hear the news about Jan. I really wish I could have met him, but never had the opportunity. I did communicate with him many times though, and he was always extremely helpful and sincere. His contributions to the collector community will never be overstated. This is a great loss. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.
I'm thankful that we have this forum though from him. It will always be a memorial to his amazing contributions.

God Speed,
Matt:cool:

· Registered
2,771 Posts
Very sad to learn of Jan's passing. We used to communicate regularly and than it all stopped after his wife died. I figured grief and declining health had a lot to do with it. I was helping him with information he requested for updating his Third Reich Lugers. Whenever I came across a K date Luger at all the shows I went to. To bad the new book never got finished.

· Super Moderator
3,164 Posts
While sad news, never forget his contribution to our interests and the history of the Luger pistol.

We now are members of the Luger collecting communities which, in some ways, exist in debt to his work, and will work to keep his memory alive.

Condolence to his family on loss of Jan Charles Still. Say and remember his name.

· Registered
5 Posts
Amy,

Are there any tributes written for your father or obituarys that you can share with the Forum? He is missed and will always be viewed as a example to emulate in the collecting community.

G2
Just the obit shared here so far. It was published in the local paper as well. We are planning to host a celebration of life in the spring.

· Registered
70 Posts
Very sad news indeed.

But instead of dwelling in grief, let us celebrate his vast accomplishments and influence on our community. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but his books are the foundation of my military Luger knowledge. His research and this forum have been a huge benefit to us all and have inspired and educated countless new and seasoned Luger collectors. He will live on forever in our hearts and minds.

RIP, Mr. Still.

-Jason

61 - 80 of 84 Posts