Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys..

I just put a Browning 1922 pistol on hold.

ON the trigger guard on the right side of the pistol is stamped

A then a MUM that looks just like the Japanese MUM found on Arisaka rifles.

Is this a Japanese Issued FN1922? does anyone have a pic of the markings that would be on a Japanese fn1922?

I must know before they sell it

PLease help

Aufaffe

·
Registered
131 Posts
HI Aufaffe,

I can't give you any firm advice on a FN1922 but I would be very cautious about a pistol with a mum. There has been a lot of discussion on several forums about P.08s with mums and most collectors believe they are fakes. The statement has been made that the Japanese did not put mums on pistols and, likewise, I have never seen one I thought was real. I do have a number of T-14s, T-94s, T-26s and a Papa Nambu and none of them have a mum.

Regards, Leon

G

·
Sorry for being a month late on this discussion, but I only just acquired a Type 94 and went to the Japan Pistol board.

However, I do study and track the 1922 Brownings and common belief is that the mum was the designation of the West Berlin Police department. As the 1922 pistol was used by the Germans during the war, used by the railway police immediately after the war, there is no reason to doubt that some German police departments would be armed with this pistol.

By the way, of the dozen or so I've seen in the past 30 years, serial numbers range from 127,xxx to 171,xxx with most being in the 140,xxx range. Next to the mum there will also be a letter A or B or both. A tends to be on lower numbered guns and B on the higher serial numbered guns. If I can get the image to load on this slow connection, I add one.

Kevin

Download Attachment: Chrysanthemum.jpg
14.75KB

·
Registered
75 Posts
It is not Japanese, it is a postwar West German Police gun from the city of Berlin. Many dealers try to pass these on as being prewar Japanese. These 1922s were typically made in the 1952-1958 time frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.