Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I would like to see if anyone has seen enough of these to let me know if this item is authentic or a reproduction. It came with a 1942 luger so I naturally assumed that it was issued with the pistol. Let me know your thoughts and I can provide additional pictures if needed DSC00072.jpg DSC00073.jpg DSC00074.jpg DSC00075.jpg DSC00076.jpg DSC00077.jpg DSC00078.jpg DSC00079.jpg DSC00080.jpg DSC00081.jpg DSC00082.jpg DSC00083.jpg DSC00084.jpg DSC00085.jpg

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,302 Posts
Not the worst one I have ever seen but a repro.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and thanks Jerry for letting me know. For my own reference, what are the things that stand out with this one that differentiate from the legitimate ones? I thought that the stitching was off when I received the rig but assumed that someone was asleep at the wheel in the factory. The piece of leather that pulls the pistol out seemed to be off as well. The pistol did not make the best fit either inside of the holster. I had another holster that it fit like a glove in and unfortunately sold that one earlier. The magazine fit fine inside of the side pouch though. Any help is appreciated and I will scribble it down in my mind for future purchases. Thanks guys!

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,302 Posts
I have studied German Luger holsters from 1900 to 1945 and beyond now for over 25 years. Daily I dismantle them, open them up, remove any and all parts and gently and carefully restore them back to their original configuration. I am the only known professional German Luger holster restorer in North America that I am aware of.
This JLN Luger holster is a reasonably made reproduction. Likely made more recently than as many were in the 1960's-70's-80's. Recent copies have learned from past glaring errors that could be spotted immediately and slightly improved construction mistakes to deceive novices but.. even a cursory look at this holster and it becomes glaringly evident that the holster was no way, no how made by a German Saddler pre 1945.
The pull-up strap is very poorly executed. The knot poorly tied, the strap poorly cut and installation poorly executed. Not at all the quality seen on originals.
The thread. Thread on originals is linen. The stitching lines are highly irregular, crooked and wavy. Everywhere you look the stitching is irregular. The bottom left corner of the magazine pouch is an excellent example..the stitching shown here is an amaturish shortcut. Genuine German construction calls for an intricate stitch that closes the corner..Missing here.
The underside of the closure strap has a crossover stitch. This type was common on WW1 holsters but WW2 types the crossover went UNDER the strap. A holster as late as this one..just wouldn't happen. Actually this holster was an admirable attempt to deceive. The maker was just not well versed in the details of an original enough to pull it off. There are other telling details but this is enough to condemn this holster to the $39.95 sale bin.
The belt loops are placed WAY too low. This holster would NEVER have been accepted by the German Army WaA shown on the back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts