Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sorry to advise that Joop passed on 8/3/19 in Antwerp, Belgium. He taught us all so much and was a true gentleman in all he was and did. Rest in peace friend.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Very, very sad news indeed.
Joop was a true gentleman and a fellow collector that was always willing to help.
A huge loss to all of us.
My deepest condolences to is family.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,314 Posts
My condolences to his family and friends.
R.I.P.
Pat

·
Gold Bullet Member
831 Posts
May he rest in peace. He will be missed.

Joop was a great collector and most importantly a great man who enjoyed life to the fullest. His interests went far beyond Lugers. It was a pleasure and an honor to work with him and Don on their book which will live on as a lasting tribute to him.

·
Silver Bullet Member
901 Posts
A Gentleman and a Scholar who was happy to share his research and information with his fellow collectors. He is missed.

·
Super Moderator
3,833 Posts
Shocked to hear this news.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
A true gentleman and scholar. I had not seen or heard from him since his last appearance at SOS 4 or 5 years ago. I think a combination of health, business and family issues put him under considerable stress that most men his age could not endure long.
He was a charming man with varied interests who will be greatly missed by the collecting community.
Tim H.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Joop was really a big gentleman, generous, very cordial ...
Patrice and I had visited him in Antwerp about ten years ago and we had enjoyed his beautiful collection but also the best restaurants ...
My sincere condolences to the family.

Joël

·
Administrator
13,140 Posts
I really liked Joop - when I was overseas, I met my wife in the Netherlands, she headed back and I stole across the border to Belgium, and then spent 3 days visiting with Joop and Vlim - he showed us his collection, took us out to lunch and dinner and I had a great time. Joop was always willing to share knowledge and helped me out many times.

I have missed him on the forum and truly miss that we can't share another bottle of wine.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I am deeply saddened by this news. He was a fine man, valued colleague and a gracious host at many gatherings of the collecting community. I will miss him.
Ron

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Very sad news indeed. I shared a rich correspondence with him, and had the good fortune to meet him at Chattenooga. I see that I am not first to recognize him as a gentleman of the old school. He is already missed.

--Dwight

·
Super Moderator
3,833 Posts
This was taken during the book presentation in Oberndorf am Neckar.

Joop shaking hands with the museum director Mr. Kussmann-Hochhalter.

media.media.53ad093e-f1e4-4628-b75f-8bea29dc3f81.16x9_1024.jpg

·
Registered
14,253 Posts
Some photos of Joop over a few years.

Had the pleasure to help him co-host a dinner & wine tasting event during an SOS even back in 2006.

Last 3 of these photos are from that evening :

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am deeply, deeply saddened by this news...when I heard that he was selling/ auctioning off his collection, a few years back, because his children had no interest in it, I was disheartened...now this...

R.I.P. Mr. Joop van de Kant...you will be greatly missed...thank you for the book, along w/Mr. Hallock...

·
2,501 Posts
I had the pleasure of meeting and traveling with Joop in 2012 at the Oberndorf meeting of Luger collectors.

Here, Joop is on the right as Jon Speed explains part of the Mauser archival material to Gerben, Mauro and Joop.

JoopAndJons.jpg

JoopBook2.jpg

His research on Mauser Lugers contributed a great deal to our collecting community, including some of the most reliable and useful reference material published.

I'll miss him, and always admire his bright and friendly personality.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts