Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,460 Posts
Rest in peace Mr Van de Kant. You have left your mark on the luger collecting comunity.

·
Administrator
13,123 Posts
Here are pictures when I visited him and his collection at that time.
My friend Vlim on the right and Joop on the left.
It was a very nice visit.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
From Jon Speed:

I am sad to hear about Joops passing. Over the years he was working on their Luger book we exchanged a lot of data and good talks on Lugers and other subjects. One of the really Good guys in the collecting field and always helpfull and willing to learn about new concepts etc. I will miss him.

My Condolences to his family.

Regards, Jon Speed

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,083 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Personally I lost a generous friend and a true gentlemen.
Joop was one of the founder of the Ku Club that meets every years in Oberndorf.
I remember all of us chatting in Oberndorf about Mauser... we had really good time together.
I miss you.
Mauro

·
Registered
528 Posts
My deepest condolences to his family.

I had a wonderful time when I had visited his collection about 12 years ago which was impressive. He was also a connoisseur in good food and wine and the short one day visit was not long enough to discuss our passion.

Rest in peace and your knowledge will be endless.

Farewell Joop,
Albert

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,507 Posts
I was fortunate enough to meet Joop in Chatanooga several years ago and thoroughly enjoyed his company. He was also extremely helpful during the time we were trying to understand the "sneak" Lugers. I will miss him.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Joop was a dear friend with whom I spent many an evening. I am deeply saddened by his passing. Attached is a thread Pete Ebbink posted some years ago of a feast that Pete and Joop arranged at the SOS. Sadly, Joop isn't the only fellow pictured who has passed on.

https://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?6799-SOS-Dinner-Thank-You-!&highlight=SOS
George,
Thank you for pulling up that old thread. The photos brought back very happy memories, but sadly also some heart breakers. Here are two of the no longer with us photos that are particularly significant for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
* With sadness I recognize our loss of one of the really "good" guys.
* With happiness I treasure Joop's (& Don's) gift to all Mauser Luger fans.
* Smooth sailing and fair winds in your new journey.
Bob

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Joop is a loss to us all.

I so enjoyed talking with him and exchanging ideas at the Chattanooga show.

His book written with Don has been an important part of my library.

Rest in peace!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Late to see and morn the passing of this unique, larger-than-life man. A true bon vivant and Luger collector / scholar who radiated good will. I had the pleasure to meet and lunch with him at two NAPA shows years ago. I'll never forget those suspenders! Later when he underwent serious vein replacement in his legs, the Luger world lit candles for his complete recovery. His book is the legacy he left us which will live on. Rest in eternal peace, Joop, with a fine Burgundy at your side.

·
Super Moderator
3,824 Posts
Local newspaper

80360978.jpg

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,083 Posts
Thank you Vlim.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I meet him some years ago with Krie1942/Joël : a very good man , the week passed with him was a pleasure
Late I buy two luger from his collection
Rest in peace my friend collector

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's a great loss...
Joop was member of the Belgian Gun Collectors Association. www.bvvw.be He gave a few nice presentations of an unseen collectors level. I was pleased to know him and saw his collection a few times. He even bought some P08 from me.
Always open te help and give advice...
Yep, what a waste...

JAN 2008 162 a.jpg

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,727 Posts
I began to worry when Joop's extensive collection was auctioned off recently at Hermann Historica. I vividly recall our interaction on a Turkish luger I owned. A great and gentle man who is missed greatly and forever will be.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh no.
Such a loss. Such a great fellow. He was what makes this hobby such a joy. Someone to admire and learn by. Gentleman is an understatement.
He contributed so much to our hobby and was an inspiration to any who had the pleasure to have met him.
Thank you Joop.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow I can't believe it! I've been gone from the site for a while and so many that I knew when I first started collecting have passed.Joop saw a photo spread of a 1914 Erfurt Artillery I have and messaged me saying that he had my shoulder board! All he wanted for it was another stock iron for an even swap. What a true gentleman and collector. He will forever be missed.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts