Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
George, I am understanding Herr Friedrich's comment on page 84 as saying there presently is no attribution of the six-sided-diamond-in-starburst to the Bavarian Gendarmerie (rather only the four-sided-diamond is so attributed).

·
Registered
974 Posts
George, I am understanding Herr Friedrich's comment on page 84 as saying there presently is no attribution of the six-sided-diamond-in-starburst to the Bavarian Gendarmerie (rather only the four-sided-diamond is so attributed).
Yes, I read over this section too quickly. I believe you are correct as I was also going on his grouping of the two stamps together on page 85. He has grouped the two diamond markings together just as he has the related PTV & TP, three D star markings, S star marks, etc.

Thanks for the correction.

George

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Added 215729, another 4-sided diamond-in-starburst Behörden-modell thanks to its owner/auction-seller

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Updated the OP to reflect "Behörden-Modell" as the official name of this J.P. Sauer & Sohn pistol. The OP previously reflected the name without the hyphen between "Behörden" ("authorities") and "Modell" which was the official-police description reflected in their publication "Die Pistolen 7,65 mm der Polizei ("valid from 1-April 1938)" pictured bottom of OP. This idea occurred to me because the "B-M" name is what the company reflected on its B-M box (see Martin Krause's numbered B-M box posted <here> and note his box's s/n 216807 is five digits from the observed pistol s/n 216802 a 4-sided diamond-in-star B-M)

Please post-up your diamond-in-star accepted Behörden-Modell, or PM me if you prefer your serial number and diamond-type reflected anonymously

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Please fellows, open up your gun safes and report your diamond-in-starburst Behörden-Modells !! PM me for confidential coms.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
An interesting observation perhaps implying two different acceptance inspectors working contemporaneously:

- s/n 213947 diamond-in-starburst acceptance marked B-M (presently the lowest known diamond)

and only three serial number digits away:

- s/n 213944 K-in-starburst acceptance marked B-M

The two acceptance markings definitely overlap: I believe the highest known */K accepted B-M is 214833 (that's almost 1,000 pistols from lowest diamond-in-starburst B-M)

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Added another 4-sided-diamond-in-starburst B-M to this database today - the score is now 10-to-10 (see OP for details)
.............. sure am hoping for more datapoints !!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
hardknocks, please provide a close up picture of the left trigger guard marking of your s/n 209127 - I suspect your pistol's marking (if any) is a K-in-starburst. Thanks

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
It does look like a "K" in the starburst.
Thanks for that information. Here is a picture of the three acceptance marks side-by-side, left to right:

K-in-starburst
6-sided-diamond-in-starburst; and
4-sided-diamond-in-starburst

In case you are wondering, the black lines in green background are millimeter markings on a plastic ruler (low tech measurement skills here ;-)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for that information. Here is a picture of the three acceptance marks side-by-side, left to right:

K-in-starburst
6-sided-diamond-in-starburst; and
4-sided-diamond-in-starburst

View attachment 638166

In case you are wondering, the black lines in green background are millimeter markings on a plastic ruler (low tech measurement skills here ;-)
Add one more "K" sunburst......210958

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Anyone have a diamond-in-starburst to add to this database? While we are waiting for more datapoints to surface in order to perhaps understand more about these two different "mystery" acceptance marks, here is a holster serial numbered to a Behörden-Modell JP Sauer 216105 within the [four-sided] diamond-in-starburst serial number range:

Noteworthy is the fact that this serial numbered 216105 holster is consecutively numbered with the 216106 "S &S Beh. Mod. Cal. 7.65mm" pistol reflected on the "JPS+S In-House Llisting" presented in Cate & Van Gijn Vol. I on page 230.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
NUMBER-MATCHED MAGAZINES ANYONE ?

I have a picture of the serial-number-matched-magazine of 214637 and 214666 and am looking for pictures of other diamond-in-star B-M serial-number-matched-magazine's

Much appreciated if you would please post your serial-number-matched-magazines here, or PM them to me. Thanks !

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
More #'ed-mag pictures would help establish whether or not the following trend continues:

- baseplate-toe-4-digit-serial-numbering-style matched with 6-sided diamond B-M s/n's, and

- baseplate-6-digit-serial-numbering-style matched with 4-sided diamond B-M s/n's

I have only seen a visual of these three serial-numbered-mags in the relevant s/n range

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here are my magazines for pistol #214052 (already on the list 6 sided diamond in starburst) along with the holster I have. The serial number on the holster is located on the rear of the holster directly below the fold of the flap, right of the belt loop as you look at the rear. The other photo of the holster is the stamp located on the front of the holster under the flap when closed.
IMG_3535.jpg
IMG_3534.jpg
IMG_3537.jpg

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Boneheads, that is an awesome rig .. Congratulations !! The "style" of serial-numbering on your [two!!!] matched magazines is one I have not seen before - nice ! So there must have been at least three different armorers, locations, or maybe even organizations with these diamond-over-starburst B-M's

To have the serial-matched holster as well is over-the-top! I am thinking the 1937 date of your holster implies it was a replacement as, IMHO, the pistol would have been produced and issued a few years earlier (1934?). Maybe there's an expert in the audience? You may already know this but there definitely appears on your holster [below left] the police eagle acceptance mark like on this same maker/year holster [below right] :

Thanks for posting !!

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
.... but wait a second, is it true your #1 mag is marked "552" (not "052") ? A 1934 typo no doubt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes the #1 magazine is marked 552 not 052. I’m hoping a typo, with both so similar in stamping I was thinking the same thing. I don’t know of a way to prove that though obviously.

The holster eagle is slightly more visible with the light at a different angle than what the picture was taken with. I did not realize though that that was considered an acceptance mark. Pretty cool! I also didn’t know that the 214052 number put the manufacture date at around 1934, that’s good to know. It does make you wonder then that the holster may be a replacement.
I love how all this information is slowly but steadily trickling in. Thank you and everyone else for deciphering all of this! Very interesting indeed!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts