Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd be appreciative of any insights as to its origin and value. However I don't think I'll part with it any time soon. Thanks all.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Fairly uncommon maker.
Too bad it was dyed black and converted to belt carry.
I would guess it is worth about $150-200.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol. That's how new this is to me. I didn't even notice the differing color of the holster vs straps etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
I don't think it has been permanently converted to belt carry. It looks like the stock attaching block is intact with the belt loops added separately by threading them through the stock block. I think the holster is worth a lot more than $150-200. That oiler type cleaning rod doesn't go with the holster though...it might be worth $100-150 by itself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone have any good pics of what a 1915 artillery holster Should look like?

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,619 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with the holster. Looks like the stock block is still intact. Holsters were dyed black by an order. Can't remember the date. Anyway nice looking holster. Bill

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New pics added to item #1 showing belt loop addition and closeup of belt loop showing "BYT" or "3YT" stamped on it. Curious that the hold down strap is attached to the belt loop piece. Thoughts? What would the metal wire's purpose be? Thanks for the great input and pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for sharing Norm

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,302 Posts
As pointed out above there is much to like with your holster. The GI hanger adapted to your stock block is easily removed with no damage to the holster or the hanger should you wish to hang onto it. The holster itself should bring $350-450 IMO

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you saying that the govt ordered them dyed black at some point?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Are you saying that the govt ordered them dyed black at some point?
Gov't/military in Germany during WW1 (I vaguely recall around 1916 but not all fielded holsters got dyed). The added leather hanger is probably from a US M1916 holster for the M1911 pistol. You can see the remnants of the maker's name (Boyt) and date (it looks like '44). The front of your LP08 (artillery holster has an added brass strap stud--added to the lid. That could have been done to make the holster better suited for use without the stock/strap equipment it was originally designed for (WW1 use). I have seen that modification on several LP08 holsters.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,500 Posts
The stud is on a strip of leather attached to the belt hanger. Nice job, and it did not hurt the original holster. John

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Shows US GI ingenuity at its best, nice conversion without visible damage to the holster!

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IMG_0814.jpg IMG_0906.JPG IMG_0900.JPG I have to say David that I am extremely impressed with your thoughts on the M1911 Holster. I found picture #2 on the internet of a WWII M1911 holster that has the metal belt hanger, full maker stamp etc. It's not hard to compare this picture with the actual, and see how this modification was crafted. It was apparently modified to fit on a U.S. Military belt like in picture #3. I wonder if some G.I. wore this in to the field or just as a show piece when he got home. At any rate, great detective work. If only this stuff could talk...

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,302 Posts
Harry..It is not. There is a high/front and a low/back lip on stock boots. The high covers the locking lever on the stock iron. The low conforms with the curvature found on the stock that accepts the toe of the holster. Norms boot is on correctly. It's actually hard to put one on backwards..no..easy to do.. but it just doesn't conform to what's happening on the stock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts