Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Just How Many Luger Barrel Lenghts Were Produced?

2K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  cirelaw 
#1 ·
I think I have most except for the 1920 long barrel~

See less See more
#22 · (Edited)
I find this as a very interesting thread! So "How Many Luger Barrel Lenghts Were Produced?"
Real question would be is there any factory data about OEM barrel lengths?
This is kinda important question if that metric barrel length data exists? 100 year old pistol seen some abuse and there are people that at certain point wanted to change barrel for whatever reason. Now there were/are people that had money for proper job and they carried they pistols to master gunsmiths, and there are people who wanted barrel change for less money and they carried to "average garage gunsmiths".
In Europe we have significant number of master gunsmiths and of course there are even more average gunsmiths... Master gunsmiths knows all neccesary factory data,manufacturing process etc and are usually connected(like a small union) and I am pretty sure they could get OEM "stamp punches" for numbers and other relevant markings and change barrel to original state/since marking tolerances of this pistols are "hand and hammer".
Now average "garage gunsmiths" did not have all necessary tools and knowledge for proper job but they managed to change barrel but with obvious and not so obvious flaws like markings, bad bluing, barrel length etc. I am sure we could recognize such barrels as buyers but would we recognize such job from a master gunsmiths? I am not sure about that...

Knowing this factory barrel length data would be helpful for potential buyer of Luger P08 as one more variable in detecting fake one.
P.S.
I am still not in possession of Luger P08 but in following days I have intention to pay a visit to some owners that are selling them and buy something for myself so I am bit worried if I will buy a "lemon"... This forum provides a lot of data for buyer and has plenty of knowledgeable members so I am sure you will help me to pick up the right one (y)

Best Regards
Lightmesser

#9 ·
I once owned a Stoeger (purchased from Stoeger) Luger which had an LP08 (artillery) barrel that was 20mm longer than the standard artillery barrel and it was in 7,65mm caliber. Shattuck eventually bought it from me at one of the old Nashville shows. The serial number was 4 digits without a suffix as I recall. JIM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.