Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted - 01/24/2005 : 8:01:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could use some help identifying a luger I inherited. Here are the markings I can readily see. DWM on toggle, a script " t " above the trigger guard, crown over N on barrel, also a W2a66 under an eagle ,
03 on the frame, barrel, trigger, and other parts , unit mark is L.K.96 . It has a 3 7/8 inch barrel. Can I assume the serial number is 03? I also have 2 aluminum magazines that have matching serial numbers and a leather holster that says OTTO SINDEL BERLIN 1940. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Craig welcome to the forum.

If there is no date on the top of the receiver, then it sounds like either a Weimar Alphabet Luger or commercial.

Pictures of all sides, top, etc., would help very much.

The unit marking, also sounds like a police marking, does it have a sear safety?

Example of a sear safety;

Download Attachment: 20041020221036_1920_left_side.jpg
13.58 KB

On the front of your frame should be the serial number, can be one digit, four is more common (started at 1, then 2, up to 9999, then 1a etc., up to 9999 t or whatever yours is.)
I am guessing yours is not 03t but a picture would help? The last two is usually put on many places for a military Luger, hidden for a commercially made one.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please excuse the poor quality photos. The bluing on the gun is much nicer than the photos show. It does have a sear safety.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Molphy48

You have a very nice weimar police marked luger, looks like your luger also has the magazine safety.

Would it be possible to have another shot of the left side of your luger with the grip removed to see the magazine safety as we do not often see a lot of these.

Be very carefull removing your grip as to not chip the small piece of wood that wraps under the safety.
This is best done by removing the right hand side grip first using a proper hollow ground screwdriver to remove the screws and lift the right grip off.
Then remove the left grip screw and gently tap the bottom inside of the grip to remove.
If the grip sticks leave it on and wait till you have good help.

Your photos are quite good and show that this luger has beautifull blueing.

Pictures of the front of frame above the trigger guard will show the serial number and suffix letter of the firearm.

Could you also post pictures of your magazines paying attention to the stamps on the bottom

The holster is for a later production luger as DWM did not produce lugers in 1940. Otto sindel of Berlin produced many a police holster so pictures of the holster would also be appreciated.

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Craig it is a keeper, or one for my collection! It is a nice one, James has the knowledge and books, while I am traveling, but point is, that James gave you good info!

Ed

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Craig
You have a Luger manufactured by DWM (BKIW)in 1929 or early 1930 for the Prussian State Police. The full serial number is on the front of the frame above the t. An eagle over WaA66 is on the right receiver. The L.K.96 signifies Prussian State Landjagerei Kosin. The Landjagerei was the rural constabulary. See "Weimar Lugers" page 31-34 and 195-197 for more details. Additional photographs would be most appreciated.
Jan
Click on the post below for details of a similar Luger.
POLICE 29 DWM, SN 8085t Jan C Still
http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=217

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
03 and a script t are the only marks above the trigger guard. I couldn't get good pictures of the magazines,but the markings are as such: they both have a number "1845" on them. One is marked 1 and the other 2. There is a small eagle )or bird) on the end of eachh clip as well. On the side of the magazine it says HAENEL SCHMEISSER PATENT. Is this a 9mm? Also what would you guess the value to be for insurance reasons. Would it be ok to shoot this pistol or will it diminish the value?

Download Attachment: left view no grip.jpg
55.56 KB

Download Attachment: serial nunber.jpg
33.9 KB

Download Attachment: holster.jpg
63.03 KB

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
molphy48

Thankyou for the photos, the holster is police issue as identified by the closing strap.

Your magazines are both police syle given the number1 and the number 2 First and second police issue magazines, the bird on your aluminum base this is possibly a dove.

The photo also shows the magazine safety present which is very nice because you have a safety sear also.

Your luger is well sought after bearing these two safety types. Don't get to hung up on the fact that the magazines are not serialed to your luger or that the holster is a 1940. All of your componets are police issue.

Excellent inhertinance need a son.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everyone, thanks for the information. What's your opinion on shooting this gun? I would like to try it. I don't plan to use it much. If I like shooting the Luger, I will look for one to use as a "shooter" . What cartridges would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I got my copy friday,its great!
Helped me id a Luger I picked up a few years ago at an auction a couple years ago( I was standing in line to check out and pay for a Parker I bought and could not resist as it was what I thought a good deal).Like yours its a 29 Police,marked L.LI.188 (Rural Constible,Liengnitz district). The holster is different however with a buckle and marked PBg 488 (from the book a police school Burg). Trying to take good pics to put on this great board as its so helpful.Not sure if that would be correct but I am happy to have caught the luger bug and ready to steer my collection in that direction.
Dave K

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope to start collecting lugers now that I've got my first. I'm sure the book will give me added info on my luger.

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
nhdblfan,
I second lugerlou's recommendation and will be very interested in learning more about your police 29 DWM. Please post photos and information on its serial number and suffix, toggle logo and the presence or absence of sear or mag safeties.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In order for me to register my Luger in NY , I have to transfer it from the state my brother lives ( Vermont ) by a FFL holder to a NY state FFL holder. Can someone give me an idea what I should insure this gun for? I hate the idea of shipping it. I was told originally by the Sheriff's Dept. that I could provide them with the required info and they would add it to my permit. Then I could go to Vt and bring it back. Now I find out that is not the case! Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
I would insure it for at least $2000, rough guess, the gun is worth around $1200, the holster another $200, the two matching mags drives the price up and for insurance, it should be more. These are rough, depending on the shape, but for shipping will do.

You could always check the law of NY, as it is an inherited gun, the Sherrrif may be incorrect. But I have shipped guns overnight many times and never had a problem.

Ed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.