Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited a WWII Navy Luger my uncle captured off a boat in port at Hamburg. It is in perfect, almost unfired condition as it sat in a bureau drawer for the last 60 years. The wooden grips look brand new and the straw and blue are perfect. Here is the 1000.00 question. The holster is in very good to excellent condition, but the stitching is rotting and coming un-done. Would I hurt the value/authenticity if I have the holster re-sewn using the same needle holes? I am blessed to have such a fine piece for my first Luger. Does anyone have any dissassembly/assembly instructions on digits? TIA Art

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Art,
Congrats on your inheritance, sounds like a fine Luger.
Does it have matching mags?
For your holster, contact Jerry.......lugerholsterrepair
Hope to see some pics soon.
Regards, Steve.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Art, we have an expert holster repair artist on the forum. His email is [email protected]. Take some digital photos and get in contact with him.

Also take some digital photos of your luger and let us see what it looks like. What exactly did yo mean by "navy luger?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Art
What is the chamber date, toggle code, serial number - letter suffix and Kriegsmarine property number. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I no nothing on Lugers at all, it seems to be a field in itself. I'll start by describing the holster. It has printed on it, GUSTAV REINHARDT BERLIN, A large M with an anchor under it. The eagle with a WaA18. Very good shape to excellent, stiching is weak in spots. The Luger itself has crowns over N on it and another M over an anchor at the rear, and an N.536, that is one digit off from the clip, (wooden base). On the toggle in script it looks like a DWAC (not sure on this). At the back of the toggle there is a 73. the serial # which is on the barrel and reciever is 4 digits (matching). This Luger like I said was captured by my uncle off of a captured navy vessel in Hamburg. It appeared new when he plundered it, and has had only one clip fed through it in its life. It still appears in (as new) condition as it has never been out of a bureau drawer with the exception of annual oilings. Not even handling marks or scratches with the exception of a couple of thin spots in the bluing at the muzzle. The two clips it has don't match, one is nichel with a wooden base, the other is blued with a plastic base and FXO an eagle and the number 37. My uncle and his buddies plunder a number of these from the ships arms room, perhaps they grabbed whatever clips were there without matching them up. I will try to post some pics of this beauty (with my daughters help). Art

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Art
Based on the N.536 Navy property number I would guess that your Luger is a 29DWM. The Luger most likley has a "s" suffix serial number. These Lugers were manufactured in 1929 or early 1930 by DWM(BKIW)in Berlin. Some of these Lugers went to the Reichsmarine (German Navy) and were stamped with a M/anchor and N. property number on the rear grip strap. A proper magazine for your Luger would have a wood or aluminum base and be nickel plated.(See page 31-34 Weimar Lugers)

The GUSTAV REINHARDT BERLIN, M anchor, E/WaA18 holster sounds proper for this Luger. (See page 169 Weimar Lugers) I would also recommend Jerry at Lugerholsterrepair to restich your holster. He does excellent work.

Such Navy rigs are difficult to find and highly valued by collectors. Further details and photographs would be greatly appreciated
Jan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.