Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
For WWI era Eisenbahn-Betriebs (Railway). I suspect probably the same for WWII era. Not to many unit marked K dates out their. K date Lugers are one of my favorite Lugers.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,125 Posts
Does your pistol have a K date magazine?

·
Registered
356 Posts
For WWI era Eisenbahn-Betriebs (Railway). I suspect probably the same for WWII era. Not to many unit marked K dates out their. K date Lugers are one of my favorite Lugers.
As for me also...love "K"- dates...mostly the 1st. & 2nd. sub - variations...they are always a puzzle, waiting to be unwrapped...at least a 90% original blued finish condition, w/the original stamped grips...you just never know when one will pop out of the closet, from somewhere...that is half the fun...

Edward

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would you consider the unit markings a problem or rare find?
The age old question, "How do we know?"
Just concerned I'm making newbie mistakes.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Your K date Luger is a bit of a mystery. It's the only one I have seen with unit marks. It's hard to tell from pic but I think I see halos on the grip strap where the numbers and letters were struck. The finish appears to be rust blue.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Their are 300 early K date Lugers reported with Naval unit marks. And the rust blue finnish is correct for a early K date.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Their are 300 early K date Lugers reported with Naval unit marks. And the rust blue finnish is correct for a early K date.
Sounds like good news.
We just need to figure out the unit markings. Any ideas where I can/should look?
My current materials are limited to WOL and History Writ in Steel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The “Arabic numeral + slash” means it is not a police marking, it has to be Reichswehr. The Heeresleitung (army command) issued their order to discontinue all unit stamping on January 11, 1934. I do not know how quickly that was implemented and how that meshes with the K date pistol timeline, and whether the Navy had their own cut-off.

Related to the suggestion above, “Eisenbahn-Bataillon” would be a possibility, in which case, following post-WW I stamping practice, the 1/ would have to mean first Kompagnie. Eisenbahn-Bataillone did exist during WW I, but I can find no reference for the Weimar-era Reichswehr.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The “Arabic numeral + slash” means it is not a police marking, it has to be Reichswehr. The Heeresleitung (army command) issued their order to discontinue all unit stamping on January 11, 1934. I do not know how quickly that was implemented and how that meshes with the K date pistol timeline, and whether the Navy had their own cut-off.

Related to the suggestion above, “Eisenbahn-Bataillon” would be a possibility, in which case, following post-WW I stamping practice, the 1/ would have to mean first Kompagnie. Eisenbahn-Bataillone did exist during WW I, but I can find no reference for the Weimar-era Reichswehr.
Found these. What'cha Think?
Although I did not find and other unit markings in it, such as S.ST., S.B.M., and R.M.G.

5E5E1302-2521-405A-9B89-C9D7481D2A7F.png

Page 42

950B2B0C-76BE-48F3-A4E8-81AEF7AD8635_4_5005_c.jpeg

·
Registered
173 Posts
That occurred to me. The problem I see with that is that Ersatz-Bataillon seems too generic to stand by itself. Ersatz for what? During the war the E for Ersatz showed up in combination, like Ersatz-Maschinengewehr-Kompagnie, E.M.G.K. as a replacement/training unit for machine gun troops. A bataillon is not that large a unit, so even in the post-Versailles Reichswehr, it would have to be further specified.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wondering if anyone knows what this unit marking
View attachment 644694
View attachment 644695
Wondering if anyone knows what this unit marking is?

Hi,

Finally got the gun in hand. Connecticut is taking a long time to process transfers.

The top half of the gun seems to verify being an early K-date with S proofs.
The question is the unit markings on the front grip strap.

Is there a way we can verify the lower is K-date?
Please see notes between the included pictures.

tempImageQ0ekxX.png

S 84 matching #s. Are these typical serial number fonts in the correct locations?

tempImage1snhvZ.png

T proof.

tempImageinStcS.png

Showing toggle does not extend past the frame and not "Mauser Bump"

tempImageTly7VX.png
tempImageUICNMB.png
tempImageKtpWjw.png
tempImagevcQB53.png

Magazine holds open but doesn't fit snugly.

tempImageUf6XJ4.png

Bottom of non-matching magazine. Is this a K-date magazine?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That occurred to me. The problem I see with that is that Ersatz-Bataillon seems too generic to stand by itself. Ersatz for what? During the war the E for Ersatz showed up in combination, like Ersatz-Maschinengewehr-Kompagnie, E.M.G.K. as a replacement/training unit for machine gun troops. A bataillon is not that large a unit, so even in the post-Versailles Reichswehr, it would have to be further specified.
Hi,
If I may ask, do you see anything in the new pictures of the lower that would help with authenticity?
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As for me also...love "K"- dates...mostly the 1st. & 2nd. sub - variations...they are always a puzzle, waiting to be unwrapped...at least a 90% original blued finish condition, w/the original stamped grips...you just never know when one will pop out of the closet, from somewhere...that is half the fun...

Edward
Edward,
If I may ask, do you see anything in the new pictures of the lower that would help with authenticity?
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your K date Luger is a bit of a mystery. It's the only one I have seen with unit marks. It's hard to tell from pic but I think I see halos on the grip strap where the numbers and letters were struck. The finish appears to be rust blue.
Hi,
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts