Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
13,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I was able to see all of the K Date Variations at once.

One point was shown to me, that the assorted variations will have stepped barrel front sights. I am under the impression that this "variation" of the sights is due to which barrels they had on hand when building the gun.

I welcome any comments on this aspect of the K date.

Ed

Download Attachment: Kdatefrontsightscompare.jpg
103.8 KB

Notice the differnces in the length of the front sight and also the stepped appearance of the sight at the front. BTW, all of these are good, honest K dates.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ed,
I know nothing! Since no one has replied I will make a few comments. It is a strange breed the K-Dates! Manufacturing processes appear to be somewhat disoriented during their production and several things are unexplainable. The sebtack front sights and the Mauser bump or no Mauser bump are a couple of things where there is no consistency. Whether or not the setback front sights originated from barrel stock left over from DWM is not known for sure. I have not seen anyone provide any dimensions that would indicate this was the case. It is just hearsay! Another thing is all those "esssss's". Some fancy and some not, is there a story there? I don't know, I doubt it. Most K-Date grips were stamped with small digit numbers the size of the regular numbers on the pistol. They are hard to read. It is one thing I look for when I look for original K-Date grips. The bigger numbers to me are a no no. I know this doesn't answer your question but maybe it raises more questions!
ToggleTop

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ed, My K date is a first variation and appears to have the longer barrel boss similar to the one you show on the left side of your picture. Mine has the set back front sight and NO Mauser frame hump.
K dates are my favorite Mauser Luger variations.
Several K dates that have come through my shop were first variation and didn't have the extra Script S on the front of the toggle link like the one shown here. Both of them were first variation.
Download Attachment: ThorK3A.jpg
283.15KB

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hello Thor,
My eyes are not that good but I must tell you your K-Date is a very attractive pistol. You certainly do beautiful work! I know you sleep well in your cave with a satisfaction of having accomplished something that others cannot.

Best Wishes,
ToggleTop

1 - 4 of 4 Posts