Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends,
I am following on television, on the National Geographic Channel, the program Apocalypse, a canadian documentary on I World War. The documentary is very well done and the movies are, mostly unpublished. Among them I saw some pictures of Kaiser Wilhelm II armed with a pistol Luger. The gun is carried in a civil holster. I do not know the model of the weapon, but, for the length of the barrel, it should be a 00 or 06.
Here are the photos
Saluti
Giuliano

Attachments

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Great images, Giuliano.
I always wandered what gun Willy carried during the war, as his holster was a non standand model.
I also have this picture in my files.
Douglas.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Douglas,
I had never seen Wilhelm II armed with a Luger., only with pistols and small, obvious, with the saber. I thought, for his disability to the upper left, he was not able to handle the toggle of a Luger.
Saluti ed auguri
Giuliano

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Very cool thanks..

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
While the holster details are indistinct, it's not for a typical small pocket pistol. Douglas's photo shows it outwardly resembles the easily opened stud fastened Type 1 holster for a Navy Luger perhaps modified for belt carry. This should be no surprise as he was famously proud of the Kaiserliche Marine he founded in 1888. It was literally his Navy. Btw, even with his withered left arm, there are many photos of him effectively handling his favorite Luger carbine on hunting outings. Now to find a photo of him shooting whatever it was he carried! He was an excellent shot by all accounts.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,150 Posts
The holster in Douglas' photo looks a lot like this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
While the holster details are indistinct, it's not for a typical small pocket pistol. Douglas's photo shows it outwardly resembles the easily opened stud fastened Type 1 holster for a Navy Luger perhaps modified for belt carry. This should be no surprise as he was famously proud of the Kaiserliche Marine he founded in 1888. It was literally his Navy. Btw, even with his withered left arm, there are many photos of him effectively handling his favorite Luger carbine on hunting outings. Now to find a photo of him shooting whatever it was he carried! He was an excellent shot by all accounts.
Some shot Willy was……:cool: Run the Deer in front of me and I could probably hit one or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBe7BrbrhN8

Attachments

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
George, Your'e right, it looks like Douglas's holster, but it has a curiously long shell and cleaning rod pouch for a P.08. It could easily accommodate a P.04 Navy, my guess. Unfortunately we may never know. Regarding his marksmanship, it was said by impartial observers he outshot most staff officers when the Mauser C96 was first informally tested in 1896. Stationary paper targets of course, not deer.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My friends, I think that the holster carried by Wilhelm II is for a Luger Model 00 or 06. This is realized by the length of the housing for the barrel.
My friends, I think that just the holster carried by Wilhelm II and for a Luger Model 00 or 06. This is realized by the length of the housing for the barrel.
The poor Kaiser, for the deficit of the left arm, needed someone who armed him the weapon.
Saluti a tutti
Giuliano

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I would love to know what gun Kaiser Wilhelm II carried during the war.
Just like my good friends Dick and Giuliano, I tend to believe it might be a Luger with a barrel longer than the standard P08.
As a side note, Several scholars attributed the inferiority complex that he had (because of his crippled arm) as a factor that contribute to his unstable personality.
And I found this image, showing what is claimed to be one of his uniforms. Note the holster:

http://www.blingcheese.com/image/code/8/kaiser+wilhelm+ii.htm

Douglas.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dear Douglas, dear Dick, Winston Churchill said of Wilhelm II "It was enough to move stiffly and pose rattling the saber in its sheath. He wanted only to feel like Napoleon without fighting battles. [...] But under all those poses and tinsel there was a man very common, vain but overall benevolent, who cultivated the hope of passing for a second Frederick the Great.".
I do not think he had an unstable personality. The malformation in the left upper limb was due to a difficult childbirth, with a shoulder dystrophy. Poor Wilhelm! It must be a worry for all the life.
Saluti
Giuliano

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Thanks, Douglas, for the tell-tale uniform photo with still enigmatic holster. As to his personality, Giuliano's citing Churchill is apt. As usual he describe it best - an insecure but kind man pretending to be a fearsome War Lord. Regarding his belligerent public face, British foreign minister Sir Edward Grey said " The German Emperor is aging me; he is like a battleship with steam up and screws going, but with no rudder, and he will run into something some day and cause a catastrophe". Certainly prophetic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts