Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, so I picked up this Kommer model 4 crown N proofed pistol serial #7572 and figured I’d share it with all of you. I must admit I didn’t really know what I was looking at the first time I saw it at the gun shop. All I knew was it was crown N proofed and looked a lot like a fn 1910.

After some research, I went back to the shop I got it from on my way through for work this morning and left with it. For those that don’t know these are a rare bird. There isn’t a whole lot of information about them out there. Forgotten weapons did a video on the Kommer pistol types but that’s about it.

For those that do know this pistol my question is how many crown N proofed model 4s have been documented? I doubt this is the only one, and if that’s the case this is way far advanced for my modest collection!

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member 2012
921 Posts
Interesting. Mine is sn 15356 and is E/N proofed. Apparently, the earlier ones were C/N proofed. Thanks for the posting. These pistols are kinda scarce.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe pre 1940 is going to be crown N proofed. I was wondering if any other crown N proofed examples have surfaced as I’m sure they are out there. Some “thorough” internet sloughing has yet to provide a photographed example in my recent pre-purchase digging. I know there is a lot of collective years of experience on this board, I’m just curious how rare this is.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The Kommer IV pistols are apparently seldom seen in collections. Yours appears to be the earliest of less than two dozen recorded so far by a noted German collector. The change to Eagle/N appears in the 9400 range and the highest verified in the 173xx range.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I recorded Kommer Model IV in the SN range 5891 to 19587.
Your pistol was built around 1939/1940. SN 7880 already has Eagle/N proof.

Regards

Stefan
Stefan, was 19587 verified in some way. The number was reported being listed in a Soldbuch and Fritz was not certain of the validity of the entry. Your 5891 is a very early number. Quite interesting.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you to even for the info. I’ve been asked by a few people for better photos. Work has been time consuming the past few days. Time permitting I will take them soon and post them here as well when I do.

Stefan, has 5891 been verified in some way? I’ve searched for photos or reference of this early number but can’t find anything.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Thank you to even for the info. I’ve been asked by a few people for better photos. Work has been time consuming the past few days. Time permitting I will take them soon and post them here as well when I do.

Stefan, has 5891 been verified in some way? I’ve searched for photos or reference of this early number but can’t find anything.
Yes it has. Just viewed an image of it, though it was embellished with a fanciful inscription.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Very nice score! You are correct not a whole lot of information is out there on the Kommer's. I have a Kommer II and for the longeest time had problems finding if the magazine was correct! Congrats on a nice pickup.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Yoebuff, I think we will find more information on a variety of rarer items in the years to come. More and more undocumented examples are starting to see the light of day that have long been buried for decades in personal collections. Here is an example of that in real time.

roy666, I would really like to view the image you found of the other known crown N proofed model IV. Where did you find it? Was it in a book, auction site, forum posting?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Sorry it took awhile to locate the image. It was sent to me. The serial is somewhat obscured but verifiable. The inscription is dubious in my view. This pistol was sold on auction some years ago and is perhaps again on auction. I am not sure.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Wood

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Roy, I appreciate you finding that.

What’s interesting with that example is the placement of the serial number on the right side. Mine and all the later examples all have the serial number on the left side of the frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts