Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All - A gentleman is selling a 1941 Kongsberg Colt. All proper markings. Matching numbers. Finish is about 80%, but no rust, pitting, gouges, etc. With it comes a holster (pictures I have aren't good enough for me to evaluate whether it is original to the Colt or not).

What value range would you think of for this pistol?

Best regards,

JGW

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is a search of Norwegian Colts on GunBroker:
Simpson recently had a 1945 dated pistol for $1995 if memory serves but it must have sold, no longer on their web site.
I don't see how you can get a price range without posting clear photos, but perhaps this much will help a little, best wishes, Joe.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
I had one years ago very similar to this one, with the same takedown variation, which I believe is not correct for the gun. I think most, if not all, have the extended safety unique to the Konsberg Colts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the photos-I think 2bnag is correct-the takedown lever is wrong on the gun in the above photos.
I actually have 1941-dated sn 253xx (unfortunately the slide on mine is cut down, the pistol was buffed and refinished, Colt barrel, etc.) with the extended takedown lever and it has the last 3 digits of the sn on it. See also this 1926 pistol on GB:
That part replacement would largely spoil the value of your pistol for collectors.
Joe

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
With the incorrect part, what value range estimate would you think?

Also, how difficult is it to find the correct part? Since there were so relatively few made I assume finding the correct part would be very difficult.

JGW

·
Registered
76 Posts
That is a tough question.
As a shooter, the 1941 pistol is 80 years old---brand new 1911 pistols start around $400, would be safer and have the more modern 1911A1 features.
I was going to shoot my 1941 gun but it pinched my hand just cocking it-I would need a beavertail grip safety.
As a collector item, the 1911 is largely ruined, very frustrating.
Hopefully you haven't bought the gun yet.
Having said that, I mostly collect Lugers, perhaps another member can be of more help, best wishes, Joe.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All, thank you for your input. My purpose for the pistol would not be as a shooter but as the representative example of this pistol. (my current collecting plan is to have one representative example of each side arm used by the major powers and neutral powers in World War II). If the price is right, I might live with the pistol having the incorrect part. But the price would really have to be right for me. Hence, my inquiry as to value ranges.

regards,

JGW

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Many years ago I imported many holsters and can tell you that this holster is very rare and valuable here. The lever is indeed incorrect and I may be able to source you one in Europe. PM me if interested.

Anthony

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Having the correct lever would help to minimize the loss in value, but even having the correct part, it will not be matching, so it will still have a net value loss. I also thought that the magazine release was supposed to be numbered on the right side, which it is not on yours. Perhaps by 1941 they had stopped doing so, but earlier ones definitely were.

Reactions: JGW

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I agree with Deutschland here.....if you are looking for a collectible, this gun is not for you. Even if Anthony can find you the correct style part, it still will be mis-matched to the gun. that part should be numbered to the gun. which makes we wonder if the rest of the parts, which can not be seen are numbered as well. maybe just make a play for the rare holster! LOL
Sam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts