Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey I am new to this forum and apologize for my lack of knowledge out of the gate. I have two very nice Luger Pistols that I have acquired out of a large purchase. One is a Krieghoff PX Luger with one matching # clip and holster. It has the tool but the tool is not stamped. The gun and holster are in very good condition. The second is marked DWM also with a holster and tool. The gun is in very good condition. This holster has wear and strap is broke. I realize this is limited information and no pictures at this point. I am asking the best way to place these items up for sale. I have several collector sights that want to buy them direct while others wish to sell them for a 25% commission. The thing that worries me is the large gap of value. I have been told the PX gun is worth $5000-$15000 depending on person assessing. The DWM has been quoted as low as $800 -$2000 for the same. This forum seems to have the most knowledgeable comments so thought I would ask for advice. Thanks Tim DWM - Google Drive. Ok here is the link to the Krieghoff. Hopefully this works and you all can see them. Krieghoff - Google Drive
77B3130F-A45C-4A2D-BE1D-ECFB7975A916.jpeg
8316963E-584B-40ED-BFCD-55733BE19962.jpeg
51167D2D-B043-48A6-8752-6E2E778DEDB8.jpeg
D1664615-C4D9-40B9-AABD-620CE9DE3323.jpeg

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you want the best possible advice, you must post pictures... clear, sharp and well lighted pictures that show as much detail as possible. We're more than happy to help but there are so many factors involved in assessing each one of your Lugers that it's simply not possible based on the little information you've provided.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Add your pictures to your original post. Click on the 3 dots on the upper right and select edit.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Add me to your list of prospective buyers for the PX version, I have two PX guns, one was Frank Sinatras, guessing it was a gift or maybe he bought it in a PX......will never know for sure. The other came home with a clerk/typist in 1946.

PJH

·
2,616 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If your only interest is to sell them, the best option is probably to put them up for auction at a widely available auction site or through a firearm auction dealer. They will charge you commission - but most earn that commission and professionals should be paid for their skill and knowledge.

If you were planning on retaining them, I'd advise a professional appraisal from a respected collector or dealer. You'll pay for this, but at least you'll have a neutral opinion of values based on actual in hand inspection.

Dealers will pay less than a collector for your gun. Collectors will pay market value. Retailer stores will charge about 30% above collector net prices, but will stand behind the sale with the integrity of their business. Note that there are some sellers (particularly on the Internet) without integrity. Some retail sellers will consider selling your gun on commission (typically 20% or so).

Marc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forum. If you want the best possible advice, you must post pictures... clear, sharp and well lighted pictures that show as much detail as possible. We're more than happy to help but there are so many factors involved in assessing each one of your Lugers that it's simply not possible based on the little information you've provided.
Ok I have tried and tried to post pics. It says I can only add 10 pics. Can you advise how I add the rest?

·
2,616 Posts
Post them in multiple appends to this thread. A few in each appended post.

Try and keep them to around 1024 pixels on the longer axis of the photo. Tools like Photoshop and GIMP (free open source) can resize your images. That has enough detail, and will keep the file size reasonable. Take the photos with a camera that can focus sharply, and take them in natural shaded sunlight rather than use a flash.

·
Administrator
13,361 Posts
thanks Tim - you're doing fine and everything right

Nice lugers :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Tim - you're doing fine and everything right

Nice lugers :)
Thank you. Had no idea someone was actually in charge of the forum. Shows what I know. Lol. So you all definitely know way more about these than I do. Is there a specific place to sell these for a fair deal? I do not think most on GB would appreciate what they are and I have gotten way too far of a wide range of information on them for me to be comfortable. Thanks again for the help and I will do what I need to do to clean my space when I leave the sight. You will probably have to give me directions on doing so. Tim.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Post 5 looks to be a potential customer to me on the Krieg .

There is a for sale section here but I think you need to post a price ?
Gunbroker or Gunsinternational would be another option .
That would be a decent way to see what others think it is worth .
If you had a reserve that would protect the bottom .

Buyers on the last 2 mentioned sites seem to be getting better at sorting the good from the bad .

Well there are a few bad apples withering on the vine - including a rare one that aren't hooking any suckers .

JMHO and no clue on the DWM as I don't pay much attention to them .

GOOD LUCK !
Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Post 5 looks to be a potential customer to me on the Krieg .

There is a for sale section here but I think you need to post a price ?
Gunbroker or Gunsinternational would be another option .
That would be a decent way to see what others think it is worth .
If you had a reserve that would protect the bottom .

Buyers on the last 2 mentioned sites seem to be getting better at sorting the good from the bad .

Well there are a few bad apples withering on the vine - including a rare one that aren't hooking any suckers .

JMHO and no clue on the DWM as I don't pay much attention to them .

GOOD LUCK !
Dave
Thanks. I will check with#5. I guess I was looking for help to decide what my reserve should be based on the wide range of value I have received.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Add me to your list of prospective buyers for the PX version, I have two PX guns, one was Frank Sinatras, guessing it was a gift or maybe he bought it in a PX......will never know for sure. The other came home with a clerk/typist in 1946.

PJH
Good afternoon sir. Just checking to see if you have interest in the Krieghoff PX I have? I posted some pics. If you want any more information let me know. My cell number is 304-887-1465. Thanks

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Would need more info and pics but I am not a student of commercials or " PX " HK's - just military ones . Again not my point of study but these commercial or " px " HK's seem to bring more than early common ones and less than late or rare ones .

Thanks. I will check with#5. I guess I was looking for help to decide what my reserve should be based on the wide range of value I have received.
One thing to remember is ALL HK's were from the same initial parts production run .

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hey Tim

For the 1918 DWM, can you provide a photo of the underside of the barrel? It should have the same number 391c that is on the frame and receiver. If not, it is a replacement barrel and makes it automatically in the shooter category ($800-900). It does have a unit mark that is a plus to collectors. Then it also has a Germany export stamp, which some collectors may or may not feel is a negative.

Does the holster or tool have any stamps?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Tim

For the 1918 DWM, can you provide a photo of the underside of the barrel? It should have the same number 391c that is on the frame and receiver. If not, it is a replacement barrel and makes it automatically in the shooter category ($800-900). It does have a unit mark that is a plus to collectors. Then it also has a Germany export stamp, which some collectors may or may not feel is a negative.

Does the holster or tool have any stamps?
The bottom of the barrel has no number. I will attach a pic of it. The bore is quite a bit smaller than that of the Krieghoff. I do not see any markings on the holster or tool.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts