Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
I do not see any type of marks or stamps anywhere on the barrel. A No2 pencil just fits down the bore. Almost exact diameter.
If it fits loose it is 9mm....if it is snug/tight or dosent fit at all it is 0.30 cal.

From that link Mrerick had:

"Several posts mention the "pencil test". The fact is that a hex shaped (sharp edges) No. 2 pencil Will snugly fit down a .30 Luger caliber barrel. A round No. 2 pencil generally will not fit down the .30 Luger barrel.Both pencils will loosely fit down a 9mm Luger barrel."

My guess if it is not a loose fit, then your barrel is a 0.30 cal replacement barell added after WWI. Then the luger got a Germany export stamp and was imported into the USA for sale between the wars. Maybe in the 1920's.

Some other things to check. Your PX gun has wooden grips and the 1918 DWM has black grips that are either plastic or bakelite grips. I think I see characteristics that the black grips are real bakelite. This is important because authentic bakelite grips can be worth something by themselves. If these guns came from the same owner he may have switched the grips. The black may go with the PX gun and the wood with the DWM. Carefully remove the wood grips and see if they are numbered. Photos of interior side would be good.

On the same note. The trigger on the PX is numbered 91, which is the last two digits of the DWM's serial #. What is the number on the trigger of the DWM? Could the triggers be swapped like the grips?

The tool with your PX gun is East German.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If it fits loose it is 9mm....if it is snug/tight or dosent fit at all it is 0.30 cal. From that link Merrik had:

"Several posts mention the "pencil test". The fact is that a hex shaped (sharp edges) No. 2 pencil Will snugly fit down a .30 Luger caliber barrel. A round No. 2 pencil generally will not fit down the .30 Luger barrel.Both pencils will loosely fit down a 9mm Luger barrel."

My guess if it is not a loose fit, then your barrel is a 0.30 cal replacement barell added after WWI. Then the luger got a Germany export stamp and was imported into the USA for sale between the wars. Maybe in the 1920's.

Some other things to check. Your PX gun has wooden grips and the 1918 DWM has black grips that are either plastic or bakelite grips. I think I see characteristics that the black grips are real bakelite. This is important because authentic bakelite grips can be worth something by themselves. If these guns came from the same owner he may have switched the grips. The black may go with the PX gun and the wood with the DWM. Carefully remove the wood grips and see if they are numbered. Photos of interior side would be good.

On the same note. The trigger on the PX is numbered 91, which is the last two digits of the DEM's serial #. What is the number on the trigger of the DWM? Could the triggers be swapped like the grips?

The tool with your PX gun is East German.
The DWM is definitely 30 Luger from description. They are both from the same owner. The trigger on the DWM does not have a number on the side like the one in the Krieghoff. I will send pics of trigger and the inside of both sets of grips. Thanks Tim.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I called the number posted.........left a message. No return call.......I do see where OP is still posting (27min. ago)

PJH

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Good point on grips and trigger . Both need a REAL CLOSE look to see what else has been swapped . Takedown lever on the HK seems odd also .

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I noticed wooden grips on the PX........ Seller is supposed to be here next week, I will at least correct any obvious interchange of parts.....grips, trigger and ???

PJH

·
Registered
441 Posts
I noticed wooden grips on the PX........ Seller is supposed to be here next week, I will at least correct any obvious interchange of parts.....grips, trigger and ???

PJH
PJ - from the photos I think the trigger for sure. Seller reports the trigger on the DWM is unnumbered and the trigger on the PX is #91......which is the number for the DWM. Maybe check any other parts not in the photos. Maybe the FP?

If the wood grips fit the 1918 DWM, maybe they were swaped out. If we had a photo of the back of the black grips we might can tell the type and authenticity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
PJ - from the photos I think the trigger for sure. Seller reports the trigger on the DWM is unnumbered and the trigger on the PX is #91......which is the number for the DWM. Maybe check any other parts not in the photos. Maybe the FP?

If the wood grips fit the 1918 DWM, maybe they were swaped out. If we had a photo of the back of the black grips we might can tell the type and authenticity.
Here are pics of black grips and trigger.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I checked #138; trigger has no number, side-plate does. As I am to see these guns pretty soon, I will not take 138 grips off until I have the in question gun in hand.

PJH

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
PJ ,
Sure you already know this but just to be sure have some of your HK's around during inspection to compare parts with .
HK's were all from the same production run of parts .

Late military examples have random un-marked parts also .
Still HK produced parts though .

The grips on late guns seem to be lesser quality also .
Grips pictured here look to be like that as they should .

GOOD LUCK BUD !!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I looked the two guns over, returned the parts in question to the proper guns. Much of the internal stuff was unnumbered (firing pin), side plate numbered inside, there were a few E-2 proofs inside. I took the grips off #194, same exact thing as this gun.......I was surprised to see threads in the hole on the inside of the grip........both guns.
Why thread a hole inside a molded grip..???

PJH.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
10-4 on the grips......kinda crude is good, just like the other PX guns I have.

PJH

21 - 34 of 34 Posts