Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
it's not a firearm, but I thought it might be interesting anyway. I hope it is okay if I show it in this forum.

It is one of the highlights of my U-boat collection: a very rare Kriegsmarine “Leinenpistole, System Sander” line throwing gun.
I got it complete with the accessories and the Linen hand protection (stamped “1940” on the inside) many years ago.
This rocket pistol was used on german ships or U-boats for firing ropes with a rocket to another ship or boat. On the rocket was a steel mount and on this mount was a rope attached.

This line throwing gun comes from the german u-boat shelter "ELBE II". After its completion in 1941, “ELBE II” was used to equip new U-boats before they entered service. Shortly after the end of the war, a young man found the gun in the bunker and took it with him.
There was also an “Lagerkarte ELBE II” (inventory tag), with handwritten "Leinenpistole" and "Ausgabe an U-...." (given to U-boat number...).

In my photo collection, I still have a photo of such a line throwing gun in use, taken on board of U 178 in 1943.
A crew member firing an rope to an Italian U-boat.

Maybe a forum member still has a linen pistol in his collection and would like to show it here?

Any comments are welcome.
Regards, Wolfgang

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
5,317 Posts
Very interesting historical artifact Wolfgang, thanks for showing.
Norm

·
Super Moderator
3,799 Posts
Nice. The design made it well after WW2. Comet made them in the 1960s and 70s as a subsidiary of Mauser.

Do these require any form of registration in Germany?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
very nice! I can't say I ever saw a German line throwing gun before. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

·
Moderator - Diamond Bullet Member
2,625 Posts
I love this forum. No matter what artifact we turn up, others can always add to the knowledge base with items and information from their collection.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The Water Police coastal boats were equipped with such model pistols but with brass frames for use in emergency situations. The 230 meter safety lines were propelled from the pistol by means of a contained cylinder of propellant and a priming cap, all part of the equipment provided with each pistol.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Here is my Brass Frame example of the Sanderleinen Pistole. Shown next to Aluminum frame for comparison.

No proofs I can see.

There are bigger Barrel Versions that comes in both Brass and Steel, no doubt for larger ships and Ocean travel.

DSC06772.JPG DSC06773.JPG

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello signalman,
thank you for posting the photos of your nice line throwing guns and the rare storage box.
I am also looking for such a box for my gun. I only have the empty box for the rope in my collection.
The rope frame is unfortunately missing.
Regards, Wolfgang

Attachments

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Thank you, Exactly what I was looking for. The holes in the lid are so the line has air circulating, and can dry out, and hopefully not dry rot. I should have the Box and brass pistol at the next SOS for sale in Feb. Wish I could add the other items in your photo. Good Collecting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts