Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all wish our guns could talk, so they could tell us their history. For some reason, it seems, we never think about the holsters and things. I really wish the holster I recently bought from Joe Faughnan could. IT IS THE HOLSTER THAT WAS ORIGINALLY ISSUED WITH MY GUN IN 1929!!!

There is more to the story than that though. As a matter of fact a LOT more. This story goes back about 5 1/2 years of me knowing where the holster was before I got it.

Don Maus Was putting together a registry of unit marking of police lugers and the serial numbers, and I entered mine in it. I was PM'ed that he had a picture of the holster to my luger was in his book "History Writ In Steel" was in it. I asked for the contact info and after a series of PM's a price was reached at that time, and BOOM! my computer crashed taking with it all the contact info with it as well as the E mail contacts, Then I crashed with a Heart attach and had to have a quadruple bypass the next week. It never rains but it pours... I ended up giving up on it.

Then In March I was cleaning up thing on this computer and somehow Joe's contact info popped up on my yahoo contact list,, so I sent an E mail and I was lucky enough for him to still have it and a deal was reached so here it is.

This gun has been in my family since the late 70's-early 80's that I know of and no holster has never been known of, so who knows when, why, or how they were separated. But, they are together now

The gun itself is in really nice shape with all matching numbers, including the magazine The holster is really nice to.

Now to find an LH marked loading tool and a Police magazine to add to it...

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I may have to settle for a just a L.H.marked loading tool of any number, if I can find it and I will probably have to settle for the closest thing in a magazine with a mismatched Haenal Schmeiser police, but I will still be looking for the original ones.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Great story and a good finish.
I'm glad you and the holster both survived to be "united"!

The tool may not or likely will not have an "L.H." but just a number; the majority of police tools seem to have only the number stamped.

Don M. can inform better on the tool markings.

·
Administrator
14,061 Posts
Very cool

Tools marked with unit markings are very rare, I have seen only a few, and I would not expect that yours ever had a marked tool, numbered yes.

Ed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beings this gun has the "T" suffix to the serial number, plus the holster is , also dated 1929, wouldn't that date the gun to the same year, and make this gun what is called a "Sneak" I have collected Lugers, and this is what started it ll, but my interests always was in the Nazi era.

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,505 Posts
The "sneak" definition has undergone a number of changes in recent years and varies depending on the individual and how up-to-date he/she is. Some people would call yours a sneak but I would not. Yours has a DWM logo on the toggle and is therefore not very sneaky! Your gun's serial number and suffix place it among the last P08s manufactured by DWM, some with and some without DWM logos, and used to rearm the Prussian police in 1929-30. The gun almost certainly remained with the Prussian Landjägerei/Gendarmerie through WWII.

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,505 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would it therefore be safe to say that the Luger I own is a model 29 DWM Police Luger from what I gather? Beings it is from the "T" block would it have been part of the Riff contract originally?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This morning I was looking through Simpsons Ltd Lugers, just to see what they had, They had a Luger unit marked LH 13 with a serial number in the 3200 "T" block also. It is kind of good to know that there are other Lugers from this unit around out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.