Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm saw a Langenhan 7.65mm the other day while I was purchasing another one.

This one has the front grip strap marked:
Gemde.Leubn.1.

The capital letters are guesses on my part. (they could be lower case)
I couldn't remember the exact reading, so I called the seller today and he read them off to me. He didn't say which was a capital letter and which wasn't. I constructed it as I remembered seeing them.

The piece did NOT have an Imperial Fractur denoting issue.
It had plastic grips.

Any idea what the grip strap markings indicate?
WWI military? Gendarme? Weimar?

Regards, Ned

·
Registered
254 Posts
Don't know how to help if you're unsure of the letters.
That said, Gemde. could be an abbreviation of Gemeinde, which means parish or community.
Leuben and Leubnitz are both suburbs of present-day Dresden. Whether they existed back then I've no idea.
JT

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure of the letters and their order, I'm unsure which ones were capital letters and which were lower case.
The seller read them off in order to me over the phone, but did not mention whether any were capitals.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ned-

The abbreviations you mention seem to be nonstandard.
Some local PD's didn't follow the regulations exactly.
(I have a beautiful Mauser 1914/34 with slide stamps
of 'Helmstedt Stadt' spelled out in its entirety...
Still haven't gotten around to posting that one.)

I would vote for 'Gendarme Leubnitz' myself, but have
no documentary proof to back up my opinion / guess.
We had a similar late commercial gun with a police-
armored car unit marking reported in a posting here
a few months back. Like that one, I'm almost positive
your example would be a Weimar Police - owned pistol,
with a scarce and interesting combination of features.
Not many are commercial, and not many are unit marked.

Rich

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Gentlemen,

although I can't have a proof, I'd vote for "Gemeinde Leunitz" (Municipality or commune Leubnitz). Yes, it does not comply with the standard regulations. But the town Leubnitz is located in Saxony. I don't know, how Saxonian police guns are marked - but probably not according to Prussian standards.

Martin

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I must be hanging with the wrong crowd, I'm so easily influenced......
So, I now have two of these pieces.

It's a commercial, no fractur, serial number 66772, plastic grips.
It does not have an exposed sear-type bar that sits above the left grip, like the one on my new Imperial marked #55906.

I'll try to get some pics, and would be willing to send them to someone for them to post.

The grip unit marks are as I posted above.

It's about 95% overall.

Regards, Ned

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rich, good point......!!!!!!!

When in the manufacturing time frame did the sear-type bar that is above the left grip on my earlier piece disappear from the outside? (I'm assuming it became designed as an internal part)

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
Ned,
There was a rather large element of the Prussian police known as Gemeindepolizei (Communal Police). I know next to nothing about them and yours is the first instance of an apparent unit mark that I have seen. My database of Weimar police unit marks is now at 700, so your mark is quite rare. Perhaps someone knows something about these units.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Ned,

Interesting markings on your pistol. The markings do seem to translate as a property marking for the Gemeinde Leuben. As Don points out, there were Gemeindepolizei (GEMPO) organizations in small towns. Typically, the Gemindepolizei were municipal police forces who served in towns with under 10,000 population while Schutzpolizei (SCHUPO) forces served in larger cities. You will also encounter these small town forces referred to as Kommunalpolizei. The duties were appreciably the same for all of these city police forces.

I think your marking could well indicate the Leuben GEMPO as they are consistent with other police markings in style and placement. They might also be a municipal property marking for some other armed organization, such as a park ranger, finance officer, etc but I would certainly lean toward a local police marking. One thing to remember is that this is not a regulation Prussian Police marking so it should be expected to be somewhat different. Most Saxon Polizei markings I have seen have been different as well (beginning with "S") but those markings are for larger police organizations such as the Saxon Landespolizei or Schutzpolizei.

I hope this is helpful. It is a very interesting marking. If you do not buy it, I would be interested in the pistol as I believe it to be a police gun.

George

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
Two options have been offered for the Gemeinde represented by the abbreviation "Leubn.": Leuben, which is northwest of Dresden and Leubnitz, which is west of Zwikau. Both are entirely reasonable but I'm going out on a limb in favor of Leuben. My only basis is the construction of the abbreviation. One common feature of many Weimar abbreviations is the inclusion of the last letter of the word if the first few letters don't result in a unique abbreviation. I believe Leubnitz would have been abbreviated "Leubz." or "Leubnz." This interpretation is somewhat supported by the abbreviation "Gemde." which includes the last letter of Gemeinde.

I'm not about to go to the mat with anyone over this, however.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi George and Don,
I appreciate all the information and speculation.
As for me, I defer to your expert opinions, as I'm not up on police marks at all.
George, If I decide to sell the piece, I'll keep you in mind.
Meanwhile, it keeps my Imperial Langenhan company.
I'm sorry about the quality of a couple of the pics. I think it's a combination of too much coffee, and trying to quickly shoot before my wife woke up.
Regards, Ned

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.