Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All Radom collectors and forum members.
I am sure that some of you have seen Very late Radom serial K 9089 on one of last public auctions – well, I am proud new care-taker of that piece and would like to share some findings and more detailed photos of one of the very last known WWII Radoms – made in very last day of production !
Firs of all when I read auction description it was clearly mentioned that - QUOTE:

Both the slide and frame exhibit rough machining marks and the slide and barrel are unnumbered. It is fitted with the standard unstained serrated walnut grips and has a phosphate finished magazine with a small "eagle/623" Waffenamt proof.”

I was expecting to not see any numbers on mentioned barrel and slide. I never had chance to hold or examine such high serial number Radom pistol since they are simply not there, but I could see that serial numbers may have been simply omitted in very last pistols made – what was common in last days of war – same as final acceptance proofs.
But as we all know if numbers are not there , there will be always some questions about authenticity of unnumbered elements and if this is how pistol actually left factory.
Pistol arrived today and after disassembling it I actually find out that there are correct numbers on both – slide and barrel ! ! it was very nice Christmas surprise ! !
( I believe that whoever was examining pistol in first place had no clue where to look for numbers, or how to pull this piece apart – that just give us warning to not trust in all descriptions out there)
Some of us keeps track of all Radom anomalies – especially Leszek making very detailed notes in his mug book, so I see that as very important info about serial K 9089 being actually correctly numbered in all expected locations – and not just pistol put together from some random mismatched or unnumbered parts.
I also could not find any info in books or forums about last K block Radoms having unnumbered components….
There is no final inspection Steyr proofs on slide E/623 – but this is known and documented in several publications – they were simply omitted to get pistols out of factory before allies invasion.
Overall finish is damn good on that piece – with very rough tooling and low quality finish - but this is what makes those K Block pistols so unique, fascinating and desirable with proper E/623 magazine and P38 stile follower.
I am also attaching picture of different late phosphated magazine proofed by Steyr – with early type follower – you do not see that everyday.
There was post while back a go about highest known numbers in existence , but I am wondering if any new surfaced recently, other than this one?

Thanks for stopping by.
Michael GA

IMG_3219.jpg IMG_3220.jpg IMG_3221.jpg IMG_3222.jpg IMG_3223.jpg IMG_3224.jpg IMG_3225.jpg IMG_3226.jpg IMG_3227.jpg IMG_3228.jpg

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nice catch! Note standard hollow rear pin (many are solid in this range). This season is good for some of us! Quite a few have survived to our time from this range, also in surprisingly good condition.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
You can see the history in the steel.
Desperated measures. This is a fantastic piece and your pictures do it justice.
Congratulations

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actualy do have holster to go along with it, It is very late 1945 dated - "daq 5" with correct p35(p) stamp.
This interesting holster in my opinion is not leather - but some type of Ersatz component - maybe compressed paper or substandard type of leather?
Maybe you can put some light on it? It for sure do not look like any other type of holster material that I had chance to see..

IMG_3385.jpg IMG_3386.jpg IMG_3387.jpg IMG_3388.jpg IMG_3389.jpg IMG_3390.jpg IMG_3391.jpg IMG_3392.jpg IMG_3393.jpg IMG_3394.jpg IMG_3395.jpg

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The holster ties this package up with a neat little bow. Incredible.

I cannot identify the material, only to say that it seems much more uniform in density, and somewhat stiffer than most leathers of the day.

About three years ago, Poulin Auction Company had hundreds upon hundreds of P.38 holsters in groups of 10-15 each, and stacked inside each other like nesting dolls. The holsters were all waffenamt marked, well fitted and stitched, and advertised as Russian Capture. The material appears near exact to your P 35 (p) holster above.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Michal,
* I think the holster maker is "gaq" in 1945.....contemporary to this pistol.
* gaq = O.Stephan in Muhlhaussen, Thur.
* No pull-up strap is characteristic of this maker's fabrication. Never was one from the start.
* Love this example and the pics you provided. A treat !!
* Hope this helps

·
Registered
234 Posts
The word I got on mine was that it came off the factory floor as GIs came in. I could never confirm the information, but in my case I wouldn't be looking for a holster. Not to take from the spectacular "gaq" you have there. Seems it had also never been issued.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The word I got on mine was that it came off the factory floor as GIs came in. I could never confirm the information, but in my case I wouldn't be looking for a holster. Not to take from the spectacular "gaq" you have there. Seems it had also never been issued.
Do you happen to know what American unit took your pistol from the factory?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts