Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,668 Posts
The factory was very low on parts, labor was scarce and unskilled. Sloppy was the norm. The lack of final proof and Heer acceptance marks shows that it was made at the end of the line. Perhaps even assembled by GI's who took over in early April.

· Registered
359 Posts
A poor attempt to match a mismatched c block. You can see the slide was scrubbed (the 'c' is still visible), and the barrel work is just lazy. They didn't even bother to scrub the SN (2376c).

You do see depot repaired P38s with large numbers like this, but this one never left Walther.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A poor attempt to match a mismatched c block. You can see the slide was scrubbed (the 'c' is still visible), and the barrel work is just lazy. They didn't even bother to scrub the SN (2376c).

You do see depot repaired P38s with large numbers like this, but this one never left Walther.
Are you saying this was a lazy attempt by the factory or by a fraudulent person trying to make the gun matching?

· Registered
417 Posts
After the war, small arms went all over the place. Many police departments were using captured/acquired, pistols as well as many of them being reworked by their new owners (Russians, Czechs, etc) Many of them were renumbered and various parts switched around. This does not look like the work of anyone that really knew what they were doing.

· Registered
1,668 Posts
Not a fake. There are many, many crazy configurations from the C-block in 1945, mostly mismatched, unnumbered, variantly or errantly marked. It was a tumultuous time. Besides, no one would need to fake a late assembled gun, or a post-occupation assembled gun. There is no gain, financially or even for bragging rights.

Ryan E, do your homework on C-block 1945 Walther P-38 pistols, please. You do so well in researching many subjects. But this one you have wrong. No offense intended.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Go over to the P38 forum. You'll get an educated answer there as well that will involve guys who have been looking at P38's for 40+ years. They'll set this straight.

Thank you I've got all the answers I've needed the Luger Forum has been a great help thank you!. This isn't my first rodeo, I sell these sort of things for a living. I'll post up my collection sometime soon!

· Registered
359 Posts
Ryan E, do your homework on C-block 1945 Walther P-38 pistols, please. You do so well in researching many subjects. But this one you have wrong. No offense intended.
The c block was in mid-production when GIs walked into the factory, so they never left Walther. Almost all of them are mismatched from being assembled by GIs and taken home, so I'm not exactly sure what you claim happened here.

You think Walther numbered this? That is factory numbering work? Can you show me another like it?

· Registered
1,668 Posts
There were no professionals left when the C-block went together. Not fake. Just poorly put together by unskilled friend or foe.

Here is an early B-block from my collection. The sloppy numbering had already begun by late February to early March. Matching gun, some phosphate finished parts, Heer accepted.

· Registered
359 Posts
There were no professionals left when the C-block went together. Not fake. Just poorly put together by unskilled friend or foe.

Here is an early B-block from my collection. The sloppy numbering had already begun by late February to early March. Matching gun, some phosphate finished parts, Heer accepted.
That work is not "sloppy". It was an honest and very typical mismatched c block that some moron ruined trying to make it match. The work is garbage and the font used is not even remotely period.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love late War Guns so much Mystery fun to try and research. The gloves are off that late in 45 sloppy and seemly no uniformity. I should show you guys my BNZ45 K98 ha ha ha it looks like a turd!

· Registered
1,668 Posts
That work is not "sloppy". It was an honest and very typical mismatched c block that some moron ruined trying to make it match. The work is garbage and the font used is not even remotely period.
Just trying not to overthink this one. There is no advantage to matched or mismatched numbers of any font. It's not Heer accepted, anything goes.

· Registered
27 Posts
I love late War Guns so much Mystery fun to try and research. The gloves are off that late in 45 sloppy and seemly no uniformity. I should show you guys my BNZ45 K98 ha ha ha it looks like a turd!
Yes, well, the BNZ45 K98k’s are renown for their rather hurried and shortcut machining and lackluster finishes. That and their reciever heat treatment was suspect as well.
That ac45 P.38 is an interesting historical firearm. It is indeed possible it was assembled in the very last days with whatever parts were there with rushed and haphazard stamps. If it were assembled by GI’s in the captured facility I seriously doubt original serial numbers and/or acceptance proof stamps would be present. As for the postwar, obviously fake and very poorly done re-stamps, well, some people have no regard for history and are unapologetic oxygen thieves.

Ez

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, well, the BNZ45 K98k’s are renown for their rather hurried and shortcut machining and lackluster finishes. That and their reciever heat treatment was suspect as well.
That ac45 P.38 is an interesting historical firearm. It is indeed possible it was assembled in the very last days with whatever parts were there with rushed and haphazard stamps. If it were assembled by GI’s in the captured facility I seriously doubt original serial numbers and/or acceptance proof stamps would be present. As for the postwar, obviously fake and very poorly done re-stamps, well, some people have no regard for history and are unapologetic oxygen thieves.

Ez
I'm with Martin on this one I don't understand why anyone would stamp those numbers on there. There would be no financial gain. I'll post it on the P38 boards see what they say.

· Registered
167 Posts
It's easy to say there is no financial gain when talking amongst knowledgeable, educated collectors, but there are far more low-information mouth breathers out there to whom "numbers matching" means everything. Over 40-plus years of collecting, I have seen just about every kind of stupid inexplicable thing done by bubbas and idiots. There is no explanation other than the fact that half of all humans are below average intelligence.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts