Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking purchasing a Late War Radom with the wood grips and phosphate finish. Does the pistol in the auction look ok? Usually phosphate pistols are only in the K and B blocks? I have the Radom book but haven’t had the time to read it yet. Thanks

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,229 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I am looking purchasing a Late War Radom with the wood grips and phosphate finish. Does the pistol in the auction look ok? Usually phosphate pistols are only in the K and B blocks? I have the Radom book but haven’t had the time to read it yet. Thanks

D6773 is shown in Anthony Vanderlindens bookpage 203 but with brown bakalite grips. Only one he shows.

Usually phosphate pistols are only in the K and B blocks? I have the Radom book but haven’t had the time to read it yet. Better dive in. Lots of blocks. Very informative in just a few minutes I found out quite a bit.

Reactions: 2bnag

·
Registered
329 Posts
The wood grips seems suspect on a D-block, second series. Those should be much later. Also, the rear most pin looks to be some sort of replacement, however it could be original I suppose. It's hard to say whether that pistol is good to go or been messed with. Grips could be GI replacement, but again, who knows.

Reading his description, it's typical of so many on Gunbroker with a long historical treatise, meant to get you all excited and just HAVE to have it, with only a small portion giving any info on the gun itself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can only say this, if northyuma doesn't know what is wrong with a radom he is selling then no one does. Pretty sure he is the go to guy on these pistols. I posted a pic of mine and within a day I got a detailed summary of the pistol. You might want to simply ask him about the gun and see what he says? Couldn't hurt?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Regardless of the authenticity of the pistol, I love the rough milled finish. No time for high polish, I suppose.

You can tell that they were trying to get this pistol out the door and into the hands of their troops ASAP.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts

D6773 is shown in Anthony Vanderlindens bookpage 203 but with brown bakalite grips. Only one he shows.

Usually phosphate pistols are only in the K and B blocks? I have the Radom book but haven’t had the time to read it yet. Better dive in. Lots of blocks. Very informative in just a few minutes I found out quite a bit.
[/QUOTE]

I have seen a couple in the 2nd 'H' block. Some of these also have the wood grips.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
To all,

Radom pistol D6773 is described as having a blue finish in the VIS Radom book. The seller makes no claim as to a phosphate finish in his description.

Geo.
Most of the 2nd 'K' were phosphated. A few were blued.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Most of the 2nd 'K' were phosphated. A few were blued.
I have phosphate Radoms in the 2nd A, B, D, H and K alphabets. Primarily I have seen more in the 2nd B & K alphabet. I like the late ones as I find it interesting that the Germans were able to produce functional firearms even though the armies were knocking at their doors and they were getting dumped on from the air.

So I have 2 blued & 4 phosphate Radoms in the 2nd B alphabet. Most of the ones I have in the 2nd B alphabet have wood grips. (I am going off my inventory list so I will have to check to see what type of wood grips.)

Then I have 18 - 2nd K alphabet Radoms. Of these 18, there are 2 bnz's - 1 is blue & 1 is phosphate. Also have 2 blank slide Radoms - both phosphate but it would not surprise me that there could be a blued one. I acquired the blank slide ones around 30 years or so ago. I did see a 3rd one back then, but I avoided it since it had been modified as someone had marked it with the bnz markings sadly though the bnz marking was weird & not like the other bnz ones I have seen.

I have had a display of 2nd alphabet Radoms twice at the South Carolina Arms Collectors show, once at the Ohio Gun Collectors Assn, once at the NAPCA show in Chattanooga and twice at the Missouri Valley Gun Collectors shows. Some may have seen them. I know Mike Radford has.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts