Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
some days ago in another section of the forum, I asked a question which involved the credibility of some writers; some knoledgeable members sensibly cautioned against believing everything it's written on books. Now I'd like to know your expert views on an accessory whose existence has been accepted by at least two reputed authors like Kenyon and Walter but of which I have always thought it couldn't have existed but in the mind of some smart faker; not that I know much about anything, BTW. I'm talking about the leather holster for the Trommelmagazin that Kenyon shows in pg. 399 and Walter mentions in "The Luger Story" on pg. 154. I just can't believe that such a contraption was ever dreamt up, designed or made. What do you think? Has anyone ever seen or own an authentic one?
Thanks! Alvaro.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for your answer Ed. Purely FWIW,I meant that in my opinion, a trommel holster does not have anything to do with a common pistol holster. The former would have had many more parts, would have been much more diffcult to manufacture and would have been much more expensive, and heavy. I don't believe the army would have been willing to spend good money in such a thing. And harness makers were all probably up to their ears in the work of making pistol holsters and other important leather equipment. Not to mention that it must have been a very impractical thing and a nightmare if you needed to extricate the trommel in a hurry, or with cold or wet fingers...
Alvaro.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Alvaro,

The straps now have popper closures on mine but this was most likely changed at a later date. My father told me that officers sometimes had them made for personal use. They were CERTAINLY NEVER ISSUED. None of the ones I´ve seen (or heard reports on) have any kind of acceptence or unit stamps. And they were never accepted as a standard design. I´ve seen several different types. The black leather is a bit crackly with age and some of the stitching needs repair. It has a belt loop - I´ve tried it on a belt (loaded) and it´s quite heavy.

Download Attachment: TM-Pouch.jpg
80.51KB

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,230 Posts
I have had a few of these leather carriers. I am sure that they were an American contrivance of the 1920's or later. They probably were sold with the whole package offered at that time.

There is no way in hell that an infantryman would have carried such a contraption. It is damn near impossible to get a TM08 into one or outa' one. Not a likely combet device!

All I have seen were maker marked and dated 1915. This means nothing!

All period photos I have seen of troops with Tromelmagazinen they have them stuck in their belt naked.

·
Registered
152 Posts
keoki7
You said:
"All I have seen were maker marked and dated 1915. This means nothing!"
That's more than right!First issuing of TM08 was in 1917.It's a bit difficult that Germans produced that carriers two years before!So it means they were made when it was not clear when they should have been produced(everyway NOT during the WW1).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.