Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Liberation day

4K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  nat goldberg 
#1 ·
I found this little pistol at a local shop and just had to to add it to my collection. I've been looking for one of these Guild-lamp Div. G.M. pistols for over 10 years, and one showed up at a local shop. Thanks to my wife's keen eye in spotting it on the shelf, it now has a new home . The magazine plate is not correct and it has a I.D. etched on one side, but I decided to purchase the pistol because I felt the price was right, and the condition of the pistol wasn't too bad. And I just don't see these pistols at shows and gun shops. The pistol is fully functional and none of the spot welds of rivets are loose or broken.
Enjoy the pictures, comments are always welcomed.

Regards
Jeffrey

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I like it! It doesn't matter what you paid for it if you wanted it. If memory serves there was a post war "reward" for these so most of them were returned for the money. These little dudes are rare as a result. Besides, who doesn't like a .45 acp headlight? The Germans had some sheetmetal guns too, the mp40, the stg..............

#6 ·
Thank you for your kind comments drbuster and Lisik. I was shocked to see the blue book range from 725 to 3,000 for these sheet metal pistols. Quite a bit some spot welds and a barrel.

I think you are right Johnboy, who doesn't like a acp .45 headlight. I figured that it wouldn't be pretty since the plant whipped them out in a hurry.

Now the hunt is on for a correct floor plate.

Regards,
Jeffrey

#8 ·
Guns and Ammo Surplus Firearms did an article on the Liberator some time ago. Pretty interesting writeup since that 's about the only evaluation I've ever heard of, of one of these in print other than it's description and history. If I remember a few years ago somebody started to reproduce these but with rifiling to satisfy the Fed's requirement and without a final machining step in and around the firing pin area. That would be left up to the owner to do and the manufacturer actually reccomended you don't fire it.
Anyways, Thanks for sharing your Liberator.

#9 ·
Thank you Norm for the idea of checking the Rock Island Auction past sales on line. This pistol is out of my normal collecting and knowledge. And frankly they aren't as pretty as a luger. Up to this point I have been looking at gunbroker for prices.

Mike C. I think you are correct about them being scarce for I only saw one last year at a large gun show that was badly damaged with a crushed grip and not functional. And the seller wanted over 1000 if I remember correctly.

Regards,
Jeffrey

#10 ·
Those have always fascinated me, someday I'll add one to my collection. The story behind the manufacture and purpose is unique. Can you imagine that same idea being done today by the masterminds in charge of our country? Feel free to insert as much sarcasm as you wish. Thanks for the pics and a 'pat on the back' for picking it up.

G2

#12 ·
They're being re-manufactured today and that's one of the reasons the price for originals have come down. There was a huge amount of these made but most were scrapped and never used hence the rarity. However; The new ones have rifled barrels to get around smoothbore pistol Class III regulations.
Jim

#14 ·
Nice gun. Mine too was missing the floor plate. I had to buy a reproduction, which was darn close, just a bit shinney. The guy that makes the reproduction pistols usually has floor plates, boxes, etc.. The reproduction pistols are of very high quality.

Congratulations on the find.

#15 ·
For those of you who are NRA members..there is an article in their most recent magazine about these Liberator pistols. They are currently being made as reproductions so caution is in order.

#16 ·
As I stated above the new ones have rifled barrels to get around smoothbore pistol issues with the BATF. They are also serial numbered unlike the originals. Unless one of the new ones is altered it shouldn't be too difficult to tell from an original.
Jim

#18 ·
Thank you Mike for the suggestion of going to the new manufacture for a replacement floor plate. I was thinking that it was going to be like finding a needle in a haystack to find a original plate.

Thanks for i.d. the pistol eroane, I didn't have any reference books covering the Fp-45. From what I have read these pistols were made in a 8 week period in 1942 with modifications made during production. Nice to know that it is a model 3, 4 hole.

I really checked the pistol over well before buying. I figured that if pistols are rare then the possibility of it being boosted would be increased. The new production liberators do have rifled barrels, serial numbers on the front of the grip. And the manufactures name stamped on the barrel under the trigger loop.

Thank you for the kind comments.
Regards
Jeffrey

#21 ·
Nat, welcome to the forum -not sure which member you were writing too, but the posting is almost 9 years old.
I have found most nickel plated lugers are worth $600-$800 depending on several factors.
The WTS is a good place here on the forum, unless someone reaches out to you.

Ed

#22 ·
Nat, welcome to the forum -not sure which member you were writing too, but the posting is almost 9 years old.
I have found most nickel plated lugers are worth $600-$800 depending on several factors.

Ed
just a shot in the dark. I have had the piece since 1944, It cost me one carton of cigs from a passing German. (50 Cents net). Have never shot it , but it's a good talking point. Hope to get a little more someday:)

Ed

Nat

#24 ·
Nat, then are you just tellus the story? (then I'll move it to a new posting / thread).

If you picked it up, did you have it plated? Just curious :)

if for sale, then offer it here at the WTS.
Ed. I got it as is from a local German.I did not plate it. It is in near perfect condition, with all numbers intact..
I can supply a picture, to a serious buyer. not sure how to post it at WTS.
Thanks for your interest
'.Nat Goldberg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.