Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Silver Bullet Member
1,043 Posts
A little hard to tell. The photos aren't great. Artificial lighting with glare. From what I see, the gun has some condition problems. Is the gun matching? See this post on what makes a matching Sauer 38H:
What kind of magazine does it have? Original and correct for the early variation? If not, then a big hit in the value. Lastly, are the grips original or repro? they look like they could be original, but best to confirm. Original Sauer 38H grips in good condition sell for several hundred dollars or more. That's my $0.02. Regards,

· Silver Bullet Member
1,043 Posts
He will check the serial numbers. Here is the picture of the mag he sent.
That is a correct early Sauer 38H magazine. Since it is a police gun, there is a possibility that the magazine is numbered to the gun. The magazine numbering was done by the police armorer, not the factory. It may be numbered on magazine body. That would be a huge plus. Good luck.

· Registered
1,775 Posts
Slide matches frame. I would just have to see if grips are original. Any pointers?
It's impossible to tell original from repro on a 38H from pictures. Bakelite has a slight 'ring' sound when you lightly tap on it with a wooden dowel. Plastic sounds like a dull tick. A hot pin will sink into the back side of the plastic, but won't on bakelite.

One of the unfortunate realities about the 38H grips are that some from production runs crack easily. I don't know the serial number ranges from the delicate grips. Don't shoot the gun with the original grips, or get too aggressive when testing. You may wish to buy a set of reproductions for use or handling.

Here is my 38H. It has a cracked grip.

· Premium Member
937 Posts
OH, that's very nice - congratulations !! The left grip is a factory original as well
The holster is unique ("commercial" like the pistol) and therefore a good match-up
Anything written, stamped, etc inside the holster? Sorry I'm so enthusiastic ;-)
Jim Cate may be along shortly to fill you in with important details

1 - 20 of 37 Posts