Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPS lost it for a week. It came out of New Castle, Delaware and disappeared in Houston, Texas two days later. It finally arrived in Louisville, Kentucky this afternoon. Much to my relief. It's a DWM 1915-vintage World War I military Luger. All matching numbers except for the proper wood bottom magazine, which is Erfurt proofed I might add. If you are wondering, it was $1500.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Love it. That is a truly nice Imperial Luger made when DWM quality had yet to slip due to the war. My father once owned a 1915 DWM Artillery and he described it as being made as "finely as a Swiss watch". He once said that there wasn't a milling mark on it anywhere; high praise indeed.

Congratulations upon acquiring a fine Luger.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love it. That is a truly nice Imperial Luger made when DWM quality had yet to slip due to the war. My father once owned a 1915 DWM Artillery and he described it as being made as "finely as a Swiss watch". He once said that there wasn't a milling mark on it anywhere; high praise indeed.

Congratulations upon acquiring a fine Luger.
Thanks! I saw it listed shortly after the dealer posted it. In fact, I called and ordered it the very same day as they had listed it. And your father was right. I've always loved pre-war Colts and Smith & Wessons, but pre-1945 Lugers are like works of art. There are many more reliable handguns out there and I truly love Colt 1911's and 1911A1's and have owned dozens of them over the past four decades. But Lugers are special. They have an old world quality about them that harkens back to a bye-gone era. Never to be repeated again.

·
Administrator
13,360 Posts
nice looking luger! The 'being' lost is always nerve wracking, although the longest I've had on an air shipment was just a couple extra days, perhaps a bit longer ;)

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,122 Posts
UPS sucks. Next time use Fedex.

Reactions: lugerholsterrepair

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
well worth the wait. Very nice looking Luger...Bill

Reactions: BobbyZ

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Nice item.

UPS once routed my package shipping from Oklahoma City to San Juan of Puerto Rico. Looking at the tracking records, I was anxious. But finally they found the error and I received it safely.

They handle millions of packages, occasional errors are unavoidable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Real nice Luger, I have a 1915 DWM also I can empathize with you as I would have been sick with worry if a firearm I ordered was lost in shipping. But in reality how many packages are truly lost permanently? Very few.

·
Registered
152 Posts
UPS sucks. Next time use Fedex.
During this past year with all that's going on they all suck. The usually reliable USPS promised 3 day deliveries took a month over the holidays this year.

But my worst experience of all time has been with Fedex. They transposed a few digits on the address of shipment of a Mauser carbine. I got a sinking feeling when the tracking information said it was delivered and signed for but I didn't have it!

So I had wasted most of Wednesday first waiting for FedEx to deliver the package and then calling their customer service to let them know it wasn’t delivered to me and I didn’t sign for it even thought their tracking said it was and I did.

The story they told me was that the parcel was addressed incorrectly and the delivery driver realized the mistake and retrieved the item. I told FedEx my correct address and they said they would correct the address and it would be delivered by end of the day on Thursday.

I waited, wasting all day Thursday for FedEx to bring the package. It never came.

So I called FedEx’s customer service again and got no useful information. FedEx Tracking showed the item was on a vehicle with no delivery scheduled.

By Friday, still without the delivery of my item I was reaching a level of frustration. My experience with FedEx’s customer service was that the customer service representatives speak less than perfect English and don’t do anything more than look at the tracking information you can see for yourself and then tell you what it means.

So I decided to take some action. Through the magic of snooping around on the Internet I was able to get the names and phone numbers of three of the management team at the FedEx warehouse where the tracking information said the item was. I phoned the three FedEx managers at the FedEx warehouse. None of them answered their phones so I left messages. None of them called back.

So I drove across town to the FedEx warehouse in hope of contacting someone who spoke English as a native language and knew something about how to get a package delivered. This place is called the FedEx warehouse and there is no customer service counter, it is not a place for customers to drop off or pick up packages. There’s something like a 15 foot steel fence around a very large building without windows. It looks like a prison and the only way to gain access is through a guardhouse with metal detectors, bulletproof glass and a large steel turnstile. I entered the guardhouse and gave them the name of one of the managers who didn’t answer his phone or call me back as the reason for my visit. They made me take my pocket knife back to my vehicle and wait. A very personable woman came out to speak with me and I told her the story and said I was concerned because there was a firearm in the package. She took all the information and said that an address correcting form had been filed and I would receive the package the next day. It did not come.

The next day after that I happened to see the Fedex truck speed past my house and stop about a block away where the driver carried an oblong box across the lawn to the neighbor's house. I ran across lawns shouting at the Fedex man breathlessly showing my drivers license and claiming my package. Fedex had indeed changed the delivery address for the package in their system from the wrong address to the exact same wrong address. The correct address had been written on the package by the sender the whole time but the delivery man didn't bother to read the information printed on the package by the sender and apparently neither had anyone else at Fedex.

We are all products of our experiences. Some may have had bad experiences with UPS or USPS, but for me Fedex is the worst.

·
2,616 Posts
Congratulations on a great DWM Luger. It's very nice.

As to shipping, it's become particularly unreliable lately. One thing I insist on is that when a firearm is shipped, it's packaged so that the package shape doesn't immediately appear to contain a firearm. Oversize and multiple boxes. There have been firearm theft rings detected and apprehended within UPS. Out Lugers are not their typical primary fodder, but they have disappeared. One of my Swiss Lugers was delivered to my neighbor by FedEx (even though addressed properly).

FedEx services the distributor and dealer I assist. They have delivered to the veterinary clinic that occupies another floor of the building... multiple times... The company names are completely different.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,073 Posts
One of the major problems I have with fedex is that they seemingly have no way to forward pkgs. They left a clients holster hanging on my locked ranch gate last year. 200 yards from my home. You can't even see my house from where they left it. Thankfully a neighbor walking her dog eventually spotted it and forwarded it to me in Arizona by the post office. Incompetent negligence by the driver.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I am glad everything work it ou at the end.
It would be a tragedy to have this treasure lost. It is one of the best military DWM that I had seen for a long time.
Congratulations!
Douglas

·
Registered
564 Posts
Nice.....well worth the wait
al

·
Registered
19 Posts
UPS lost it for a week. It came out of New Castle, Delaware and disappeared in Houston, Texas two days later. It finally arrived in Louisville, Kentucky this afternoon. Much to my relief. It's a DWM 1915-vintage World War I military Luger. All matching numbers except for the proper wood bottom magazine, which is Erfurt proofed I might add. If you are wondering, it was $1500.

View attachment 642666

View attachment 642667

View attachment 642668
Very nice Luger! Your shipping story was interesting. Last year I shipped a rifle via UPS from St. Louis, Mo.to Virginia and it was lost for weeks. I was very concerned because the tracking number wouldn't show anything. Well, they finally found it in Houston, TX.!! Very strange. VWMAN.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
A beautiful 1915. It appears to still retain the original long sear bar. (never modified to to the short sear bar).....very nice !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts