Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
Bought a DWM "m" block 1917 Artillery Luger with 1920 property mark added. Gun is all original and matching except the mag. I'll post photos soon but meanwhile I was wondering if a 1920 overstamp LP-08 retaining it's original barrel date is uncommon. I have seen ex-artillery guns (presence of the notch ahead of the chamber) with 1920 acceptance and was under the impression all were rebarreled or cut to comply with the treaty of versailles limit on 9mm guns with greater than 4" barrels. I have seen others but how did they get through? Also, who retained the long barrel artilleries that did get acceptance marks, issued to who?
Thanks in advance,
Diehard

Attachments

·
Moderator - Diamond Bullet Member
German Navy 1848 -1918
2,715 Posts
I have 1916 lP.08 s/n 2978b with 1920 property stamp that is unaltered and 100% original including the magazine.

It's Weimar career appears to have been in Wilhelmshaven with the Reichsmarine.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,198 Posts
I have 1916 lP.08 s/n 2978b with 1920 property stamp that is unaltered and 100% original including the magazine.

It's Weimar career appears to have been in Kiel with the Reichsmarine.
I think the Nordsee station was Wilhelmshaven and Kiel was Ostsee.

So called double date LP08s are not uncommon. The Treaty of Versailles did not address pistol barrel length only military caliber new production.

·
German Navy 1848 -1918
2,715 Posts
Duh! Nordsee = Wilhelmshaven! <sigh> <slapping my own forehead>
I knew that.
Thanks for reminding me, George.

·
Administrator
14,061 Posts
I would say not rare, but not common to be marked 1920 and have the date. Geo if you have one, I'd be interested :)

And the Treaty itself did not say barrel length, but later I believe it was 'interpreted' by people in the overseeing organization as time went on that lange barreled guns should be banned, thus why you see so many cut down and barrels replaced. Plus a 9mm in civilian use makes more sense for police and army that was beign watched (that said, it is amazing what was in police inventory).

IMHO

Ed

·
German Navy 1848 -1918
2,715 Posts

·
German Navy 1848 -1918
2,715 Posts
Just responding to what Klaus had stated. Maybe I misunderstood ???

" I can´t remember that I have ever seen a 1917 LP08 with the late rear sight. "
Ah. I didn't connect the dots.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.