Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
I've read in several articles in gun magazines that, at the end of first world war, some LP 08 were send to imperial navy, especially in the U-boats and torpedo boats. Is it a tale or is there some truth?

Thank you to everybody for their patience and their understanding, I'm just a beginner in luger collection...

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
If they did manage to insert LP08's into the Navy prior to war's end then they must be unmarked as I am not aware of any Imperial marked LP08's.

·
Registered
413 Posts
quote:Originally posted by huggiebear

If they did manage to insert LP08's into the Navy prior to war's end then they must be unmarked as I am not aware of any Imperial marked LP08's.
A point of clairification, please. I understand you to mean that you are not aware of any Imperial Navy marked LPO8s?

Thanks

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,534 Posts
franck, after the Armistice, during the Weimar period, quite a number of LP08s were given to the German navy but not to U boats as they were forbidden by the Versailles Treaty. What the Nazis did is a different matter as they fully rearmed and began building a U boat fleet. Like John, I have never seen an Imperial Navy marked LP08.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The presence of 8 inch 9mm P08 in service of Weimar Navy is an obvious breach of the Versailles treaty. Yet these are not uncommon and even bear the 1920 acceptance mark. Does anyone know of any document that allowed the use of these forbidden barrels ( original LP08s) in Navy service? Certainly there were other exceptions to the 9mm/4inch rule i.e. an occasional uncut red nine broomhandle even with 1920 acceptance mark(poor inspections?), but the Weimar navy LP08s seem to be an especially blatant example of this practice.
John

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
franck

At one time I owned a LangePO8 that was Nazi navy marked on the rear grip strap and was weimar marked with 1920 over 1918, this particular luger is no longer in my collection so no photos available.

The rear grip strap had the N property mark, crown over anchor.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Lugerlou
LP DWM n°5938i 1917 stamped 1920 and N1409 rear grip strap
The pics are on the french book "le luger un pistolet de légende"
Best regards Pat

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I have a Nazi Navy rework (M/anchor over 1319/N on the backstrap) with matching wood bottom mag (#ed 1319/N).
It is a Imperial Army 8" 1917/1920 (#3677C)Artillery Luger.
Condition is about 97%.
It came with a Artillery Luger Holster which has 2 M/Anchor proofs.
The shoulder strap loop was used as one of the 2 belt loops added to the back of the holster.The flap was replaced with a strap and buckle closure. The back of the holster is the original brown and the front was dyed black.
I am sorry I cannot post any pics but thought this info might be of interest.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Lugerlou,

The wood bottom is concave and in fantastic condition. It has 2 Xs below the property number.It appears this Artillery was reworked by the Nazi Navy in 1935.It came with a w154 takedown tool which adds creedence to it being done in 1935. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.