Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a few days I'm going to look at (buy) a few Lugers from a guy I recently met. He tells me he has a P.08 w/ 8 inch barrel and sight with a 1940 chamber date and nazi proofs on the barrel and frame. There are no other proofs on the gun. He says it is 100% matching and not reworked. I'm going into this viewing with a very skeptical attitude. Without even seeing it my guess is it's a 1940 gun re-barreled with the barrel re-numbered / re-finished to match.

Does anyone have any knowledge that might suggest this is a REAL variation, ie: 1940 LP08????

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SO...I drove 2 hours to see this LP.08, an American Eagle 1900 and a 1900 Swiss. The Swiss was great (99%)but "dip" blued, the eagle was 60% + dark patina, matching, no proofs, and no "germany". At $7000 for the pair I passed. The LP.08 was a remarkable job. 1940 chamber date and very, very convicingly matching numbered. However in sunlight there was a faint shadow of of the original barrel number near the near perfect re-number. This is another lesson in the craftsmanship of of a fake pistol. We all need to gaze upon a known fake every once in a while just so we don't forget the risks and become complacient.
Good Luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hay Ron,
Still have my notes from the meeting. The American Eagle is SN 7204. It was NOT marked GERMANY, No proofs, and "04" was marked on the take down lever ARM, not on the right side shaft end. Hope this helps your data base.
Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Thanks a ton Steve! That is a new number for my data base and much appreciated. Thank you for recording the number and the observation about the takedown lever. Details like that really help.
Best regards,
Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Ron,
This weekend I bought a new "Blue Book of Gun Values, 25th edition". I was doing some casual comparisons between the "Old" 24th and the "New" 25th edition and noticed the following.
- 24th Edition:
1900 AMERICAN EAGLE DWM, 98% = $2950, Add 40% for US Test Model (Approx. Ser. No. range 6100 - 7100)
- 25th Edition:
1900 AMERICAN EAGLE DWM, 98% = $3500, Add 40% for US Test Model (Approx. Ser. No. range 6100 - 7925)
This is great news for collectors, we now have more pistols that are rapidly appreicating.
I wonder who contributed this new information?
Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Ron,
This weekend I bought a new "Blue Book of Gun Values, 25th edition". I was doing some casual comparisons between the "Old" 24th and the "New" 25th edition and noticed the following.
- 24th Edition:
1900 AMERICAN EAGLE DWM, 98% = $2950, Add 40% for US Test Model (Approx. Ser. No. range 6100 - 7100)
- 25th Edition:
1900 AMERICAN EAGLE DWM, 98% = $3500, Add 40% for US Test Model (Approx. Ser. No. range 6100 - 7925)
This is great news for collectors, we now have more pistols that are rapidly appreicating.
I wonder who contributed this new information?
Regards,
Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.